Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Head of Information and Evidence Management Unit or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will:
• Undertake in-depth research and analysis of complex political, military, paramilitary, and other related activities in crimes committed by ISIL/Da’esh involving serious breaches of international humanitarian law, such as genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, including sexual and gender-based violence.
• Gather, organize, and analyze evidence material in UNITAD holdings on Foreign Terrorist Fighters (FTF’s).
• Provide Member States with battlefield evidence in support of national prosecutors, police or law enforcement agencies with investigative and/or prosecutorial activities.
• Assist with classifying, managing and transferring information material by using specialized e-discovery and data management tools, in consultation with UNITAD’s information management and evidence officers.
Liaise closely with investigators, lawyers, information and evidence officers to analyze evidence material and identify further investigative leads.
• Identify gaps and trends, and drafting of analytical reports and assessments to support UNITAD’s structural investigation, investigative interviews and case building activities.
• Maintain an understanding of developments relevant for the implementation of UNITAD's mandate through the monitoring and collection of data and information from multiple sources, including UNITAD components, UN Country Team (UNCT), Iraqi judicial/military/civilian authorities, NGOs, media and other key stakeholders.
• Perform any other related duties as may be required to support the team.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant area, such as political science, international relations, foreign affairs, criminology, law, or an area related to information systems management and evidence management is required. A first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.Required experience 24 Months Experience remark
At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in intelligence or information analysis, political science, international relations, or other relevant programs; experience in research and drafting of analytical products is required.
• Experience working in a field- or fact-finding mission is an asset; experience working in the UN or other international development organizations is an asset.
• Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills are required.
• Excellent computer skills are required; experience with evidence management and review systems is a strong asset.
• Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
• Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
• Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines.
• Sound security awareness.
• Have affinity with or interest in volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge