Beirut - Programme Policy Officer for Social Protection (ESSN- Operations) SC8
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
This vacancy Announcement will close on 16 September 2021 at 11:59, Rome Time
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
-This position is open to qualified Lebanese candidates ONLY.
-Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
-Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
Assisting more than 90 million people in 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
As the international community has committed to end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition by 2030, one in nine people worldwide still do not have enough to eat. Food and food-related assistance lie at the heart of the struggle to break the cycle of hunger and poverty.
WFP Lebanon provides humanitarian assistance to nearly 1.1 million vulnerable person, in the form of unrestricted assistance in-kind and cash based transfers. WFP Lebanon also provides food assistance in the form of snack and fresh food to school aged students and their families. This support is designed to improve the students’ health and make them and their families more motivated to pursue the children’s right to education.
WFP Lebanon also supports vulnerable households in protecting and improving their livelihoods through trainings and rehabilitation of local infrastructures.
To know more about WFP’s mission, please check the below video: https://www.facebook.com/WorldFoodProgramme/videos/10154930622760178
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are seeking to fill the position of Programme Policy Officer for Social Protection to support the Emergency social safety nets (ESSN) implementation. The position will be based in Beirut, Lebanon with frequent travel to field offices, as needed.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Programme Policy Officer for Social Protection, the Programme Policy Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide project management support in the overall implementation of ESSN, specifically in areas related to targeting and selection of beneficiaries, provision of cash assistance and Post Distribution Monitoring (PDM).
- Support the establishment of functional operational systems that strengthen the implementation of the ESSN, including through the development of project’s operational guidelines with proper control mechanisms to ensure that project outcomes are met, implementation quality standards are maintained, and ensure compliance with WFP corporate standards and procedures.
- Contribute to preparing and elaborating ESSN operational work plans, budget and resource management related duties.
- Liaise with relevant Field Offices to provide ESSN Field Officers with necessary operational guidance and ensure programmatic advancement in timely and qualitative manners at field level.
- Support, and lead where needed, the capacity building of national government partners in the implementation of related social protection programs and their use of newly established systems and protocols. This also involves support in developing capacity building guidelines and trainings to staff and partners on core aspects of program delivery.
- Liaise with relevant units within WFP to ensure effective collaboration and implementation of ongoing activities related to the ESSN.
- Supervise and provide guidance to support staff on operational issues.
- Perform other duties as may be required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, Agriculture, International Affairs, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Development Studies or other related fields or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Experience: At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in the fields of programme implementation and performance assessment.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in implementation or design of a social assistance program(s) is required.
- Experience in supporting large-scale emergency cash-based transfer (CBT) operations during Emergencies for International Organizations (IO), Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) or governments is required.
- Demonstrated experience in directly working or collaborating with Government ministries and/or donors, bilateral and multilateral, is required.
- Understanding of the theory and application of food security, social assistance programs and their operational systems.
- Good writing skills.