Washington D.C. (United States of America)
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Planning, Budget and Evaluation Department (PBE) is in charge of PAHO’s strategic planning, budget management, performance assessment and evaluation. PBE leads the development of the Organization’s Strategic Plan (SP) and biennial Program and Budget (PB), and implementation of PAHO’s evaluation policy. It leads the operational planning process, including the elaboration of organizational entities’ Biennial Work Plans (BWP), and the Performance Monitoring and Assessment (PMA) process to measure progress towards the goals, objectives and results in the Strategic Plan and Program and Budget; and coordinates and oversees implementation of corporate evaluation efforts to enhance accountability, learning and development across the Organization, within a framework of Results-Based Management (RBM). PBE also allocates resources to programs and monitors implementation throughout each biennium. The PBE Department reports regularly to PAHO’s Executive Management and Governing Bodies and to WHO for the Region of the Americas, on planning, budget and performance matters, and coordinates the assignment and use of resources within the PAHO Secretariat.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director (DD), and the direct supervision of the Director, Planning, Budget and Evaluation (PBE), the incumbent will be responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Manage the strategic and operational planning processes, including development, monitoring and reporting on the Strategic Plan (SP), Program and Budget (PB) and biennial work plans (BWPs), and the implementation of the organization-wide Results-based Management framework;
- Advise and manage the performance monitoring and assessment (PMA) process of the Organization’s Program and Budget and Strategic Plan at corporate, departmental and entity levels; ensure timely delivery, monitoring, assessment, and reporting on program execution;
- Lead and coordinate capacity building among PAHO staff and with external partners for planning, monitoring and assessment, including the development of policies, strategies and plans of action in collaboration with technical departments, country offices and the Governing Bodies Office (GBO);
- Provide technical guidance and support to organizational departments for the elaboration of voluntary contribution proposals; coordinate with External Relations, Partnerships & Resource Mobilization (ERP) to support the mobilization of resources and the monitoring of projects supported by voluntary contributions;
- Provide authoritative advice and recommendations concerning the corporate planning process to the Director, Executive Management and Governing Bodies Members; participate and provide strategic advice in the development of broad organizational policies, strategies and initiatives that have planning implications;
- Support the implementation of other PBE projects, such as development of Human Resources planning, and management of the organization-wide Program Management Information System (PMIS); collaborate in human resources capacity development across the Organization in his/her areas of responsibility;
- Plan and organize with other organizational departments and country offices the formulation, development, implementation and control of information systems to monitor and improve existing and future planning, monitoring and reporting processes of the Organization;
- Prepare and present reports regarding PAHO’s programmatic implementation for the Organization’s Governing Bodies and Executive Management;
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of policies, strategies and plans, and provide authoritative advice in relation to policy and procedures under the areas of responsibility;
- Support the preparation and execution of the PBE’s Biennial Workplan; develop, define and establish the objectives, strategy, plan and budget of the Unit; be accountable for the products and services of his/her project(s);
- Formulate and recommend practices, policies and strategies to improve the functions of the Team; administer, allocate and monitor the Unit’s financial, logistical and staff resources; prepare, and justify the Unit’s program and budget proposals;
- Provide leadership, guidance and monitoring of supervised staff by setting clear work objectives, ensuring timely and effective use of performance reviews and feedback mechanisms, engaging in regular communications, and solving interpersonal or technical conflicts; establish and support a learning environment, to include staff development in the Organization’s fundamentals, managerial competencies and technical expertise;
- Promote a culture of ethical behavior and integrity in accordance with the Organization’s Code of Ethical Principles and Conduct to help ensure a culture of respect, responsibility, accountability, and compliance;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in management, planning, economics, health or other social science and a master’s degree inmanagement, business administration, public administration, planning, a health-related field or any other area related to the functions of the position, from a recognized university.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Thirteen years of combined national and international progressively more responsible experience in the areas of corporate planning, health sector planning, program/project management or organizational performance monitoring, including supervisory experience.
Desirable: At least two years’ experience in a UN organization would be an asset. At least two years’ experience working in a developing country would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity - Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork: Advocates for collaboration across the Organization - Creates and encourages a climate of team- working and collaboration across the Organization; sees cooperation as a key Organizational priority and creates collaborative systems and processes to achieve Organizational goals. Actively identifies and tackles disagreements between internal and external counterparts that compromise the Organization’s goals and mandate; diplomatically facilitates the resolution of conflicts between others and ensures strategic partnerships with a range of key stakeholders; maintains and extends an effective collaborative network of individuals inside and outside the Organization.
- Communication: Share knowledge - Shares decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures both understanding and acceptance; shares knowledge and best practice at the three Organizational levels (country, regional and global), as necessary.
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment: Provide direction/Support, motivate and empower others - Oversees and provides teams and departments with clear managerial directions which are translated from Organizational strategy. Builds a performance culture in the Organization; contributes to setting Organizational performance goals and standards; monitors Organizational performance against milestones and strategic goals; identifies and nurtures talent as appropriate. Promotes autonomy and empowerment throughout the Organization; inspires enthusiasm and a positive attitude in people towards their work and contribution to the Organization’s success.
- Ensuring effective use of resources: Strategize and set clear objectives/Monitor progress and use resources well - Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization.
- Driving the Organization to a successful future: Constructive leadership style/ Set the vision and build commitment - Leads and develops a road map for successfully achieving real progress in the Organization’s mandate, including consultation with key stakeholders; demonstrates respectful, trustworthy, transparent and accountable behavior in order to develop a reliable and coherent identity for the Organization. Creates a coherent Organizational vision of shared and successful goals; fosters a culture of vision and long- term goals, recognizing and rewarding efforts to maximize the Organization’s value.
- Technical: Theoretical knowledge and practical expertise at the highest level in planning and program assessment with special focus on public health planning, or in related sectors; program management, including staffing, work program delivery and quality improvement. Precise, professional writing skills and strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills. Expertise in the creation and integration of administrative platforms for the delivery of the highest quality results, including planning and performance assessment.
- Managerial: Extensive experience in senior, progressively responsible positions in the management of a large public or private organization; administration of matters requiring sensitive negotiation and political high-level interventions; and in institutional and organizational development. Resourcefulness, initiative, highly developed judgment and interpersonal skills to deal with difficult situations and sensitive areas. Demonstrated ability to provide professional leadership to strategic, organizational, managerial and analytic work. Courtesy, tact, sensitivity to manage confidential information, and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different professional levels, discipline, nationalities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Administrative: Skills or experience in business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership techniques, and coordination of people and resources, and general administrative services.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use current technology and software, in particular for spreadsheets and presentations, as well as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and management information systems. Capacity to contribute to the design, configuration and adaptation of automated systems to produce timely and reliable program management information is desirable.
Annual Salary: (Net of taxes)
US $ 89,837.00 post adjustment
Post Adjustment: 49.6% of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
A written test may be used as a form of screening.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
PAHO/WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy.
Candidates appointed to an international post with PAHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.