International Consultant-Environmental expert
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
NOTE: Signed Offeror’s Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and availability - https://www.ba.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/docs/Operations/Jobs/Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx - Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability.docx - to be sent to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject: Job ID 101727.
Within the Capacity Building Initiative for Transparency (CBIT) initiative the UNDP BiH aims to enable Bosnia and Herzegovina to develop its capacity to meet the requirements of the transparency framework under the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. The project will attain higher-level change by contributing to the achievement of environmental objectives in BiH in three ways: strengthening institutions to improve monitoring and reporting praxis, establishing a domestic climate change MRV system, and improving information that forms the basis for GHG inventories and the NDC. Specifically, the capacity development efforts under this project and its emphasis on strengthening and harmonizing legislation on MRV will contribute to an enhanced legal and strategic framework for sustainable management of natural, cultural and energy resources (as stated under Outcome 5 of UNDAF 2015-2019 for Bosnia and Herzegovina). They will also support progress under SDG 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts, particularly Target 13.2, which focuses on integrate climate change measures into policies, strategies, and planning, and Target 13.3, which focuses on improving human and institutional capacity for climate change mitigation and adaptation.
To achieve this desired change, the Project will support the country in several ways. It will strengthen relevant legislation, including secondary legislation, it will support coordination among MRV institutions, it will design and launch an MRV system for reporting under Article 13 that can also support other environmental reporting commitments, it will strengthen the GHG inventory of BiH and its NDC, it will integrate gender considerations into MRV, and it will support a regional peer exchange.
European Commission introduced “Staff Working Document (SWD)” outlines in more detail the actions related to the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans included in the Communication on an Economic and Investment Plan for the Western Balkans adopted by the European Commission (Guidelines for the Implementation of the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans, Brussels, 6.10.2020 SWD 223).
It further details the five pillars of the Green Agenda: (1) climate action, including decarbonisation, energy and mobility, (2) circular economy, addressing in particular waste, recycling, sustainable production and efficient use of resources, (3) biodiversity, aiming to protect and restore the natural wealth of the region, (4) fighting pollution of air, water and soil and (5) sustainable food systems and rural areas. Digitalisation will be a key enabler for the above five pillars in line with the concept of the dual green and digital transition. The objectives of these pillars should be pursued through concrete actions and supported by mechanisms and financial instruments.
As well as its serious impact on the environment and people, climate change is one of the biggest threats to economic stability. Heatwaves make us less able to work and reduce productivity. Hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons devastate millions of people, leaving them in absolute poverty after ruthlessly sweeping away their communities. Droughts shrink harvests, further complicating the arduous task of feeding the world population, which is expected to reach 10 billion by 2050 (World Population Prospects 2019, United Nations Organisation). The World Bank is warning: if we don't do something immediately, climate change could push 100 million more people into poverty by 2030.
Increasing number of studies and activities show that measures aimed at dealing with global climate change are a golden opportunity for ensuring sustainable development and driving economic growth. As explained by the Global Commission on the Economy and Climate (GCEC) adopting ambitious climate measures may generate profits of USD$26 billion by 2030, creating 65 million new jobs with low carbon emissions.
In order to unlock the economic potential of the green, low-carbon, and circular economy, address and curb the main drivers of climate change, the Leaders Western Balkan countries confirmed their determination to work towards improving the well-being of Western Balkan citizens through joining the EU’s efforts in fighting climate change. Leaders of Western Balkans countries gathered in Sofia on 10th November 2020 and to acknowledge and adopted so called Sofia Declaration on the Green Agenda by recalling the conclusions of the Berlin Process Summit in Poznan in July 2019, in which they expressed common willingness and readiness to meaningfully contribute to an ambitious Green Agenda, to concur to the leading efforts of the EU in fighting climate change, protecting the environment and to unlock the economic potential of the green, low carbon and circular economy in the region.
The overall objective of this assignment is to assess potential social and economic impact of Sofia Declaration and suggest necessary steps and processes to be undertaken in BiH in order to achieve economic potential of the green, low-carbon, and circular economy with reduced drivers of climate change. The main role of the consultant would be to analyze the economic impacts of the implementation of the Sofia Declaration on the economy in BiH in order to transform the economy in accordance with the requirements of the Sofia Declaration and improve the business environment and increase investment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess Sofia declaration impact and its effect in BiH, Identify and assess sectors mostly affected by Sofia declaration,
- Analyses of situation in BiH what local, entity and state governing bodies have done to increase awareness of economic process related to implementation of the Sofia Declaration (SD) and create document recommending what governing bodies, private sector, international community could do to boost economy in BiH,
- Assessment of current resources and laws (in cooperation with legal expert) and identify necessary steps to improve regulatory and legislative framework in context of Sofia Declaration and WB Green Agenda,
- Identify existing data and information, including research from academic and research institutions, and identify high-priority data needs in various sectors,
- Quantitatively assess the potential economic impacts of SD in identified areas, in line with internationally recognized methodology to contribute development of new ways of economy planning in terms of climate change,
- To analyze all international organizations, institutions and funds present in Balkan region dealing with climate change and their investment into different sectors,
- Assessment of the economic and investment impact of the Sofia Declaration and WB Green Agenda,
- Summarize findings and present at the donor conference on Green Agenda.
Deliverables / Outputs
# of Days per Task
Assessment of the legal and economic impact of the WB Green Agenda
5 November 2021
Identification of all institutions responsible for the implementation of Sofia Declaration; Steps recommended for successful implementation
26 November 2021
Assessment of resources needed and regulatory framework which needs to be introduced/changed provided
17 December 2021
Findings summarized and presented at donor conference
10 January 2022
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a fairly big team
- Ability to operate under strict time limits
Required Skills and Experience
- MSc in Economics, Environment or any other related fields;
- PhD will be taken as an asset
- More than 7 years of progressive experience in assessment and/or designing economic measures and policies in the field of sustainable development, particularly in environment and energy,
- Experience in conducting analyses, identifying trends and challenges for sustainable development,
- Understanding EU Green Agenda for the Western Balkans,
- Familiarity and experience in developing countries, experience in countries of Eastern Europe/ Western Balkan will be taken as asset,
- Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize and write concisely and clearly,
- Profound understanding and practical experience of methodologies for design and implementation of national and regional economic goals is an asset,
- Understanding of problems faced by national and regional economic, environmental and energy issues in Western Balkan countries is an asset,
- Professional experience with at least one regional project in sustainable economic growth is an asset,
- Proven communication and advocacy skills, and ability to work in an air protection requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors including government representatives and other stakeholders is an asset.
- Fluency in English is a must;
- Knowledge of local languages is an asset
Qualifications as stated in the ToR
max 25 points20 points allocated for MSc/MA degree+ up to 5 points for PhD
Relevant professional experience
max 70 points
Knowledge of English
max 5 points - will be assessed as:5 points for fluency and the points decrease as per the level mentioned in the CV:good - 4 points;fair/upper intermediate – 3 points;intermediate - 2 points;beginner - 1 point.
The candidate must reach a minimum of 70% threshold to qualify for technical evaluation.
Technical Evaluation Criteria
Rating based on Qualifications
Profound understanding and practical experience of methodologies for design and implementation of national and regional economic goals
Understanding of problems faced by national and regional economic, environmental and energy issues in Western Balkan countries
The candidate must reach a minimum threshold of 70% on technical evaluation to be taken for final consideration.
Individual will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the candidate whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Interested candidated must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Personal CV/P11, including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references;
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
- Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.