Digital Fundraising and Marketing Specialist
New York City (United States of America)
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, a copy of the certificate/diploma of your highest academic achievement and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- UNDP will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements;
- Any travels related to official performance of duties will be covered by UNDP.
UNDP is the development arm of the United Nations. Present in 170 countries with over 17,000 people, UNDP works on the world’s biggest problems: extreme poverty, climate change, good governance, renewable energy, crisis prevention, and women’s empowerment, among others.UNDP’s 2018-2021 Strategic Plan sets an organization-wide commitment to supporting countries to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, working in partnership, including the private sector "as a critical development partner…as a significant source of investment for the Goals.” Additionally, the External Engagement Plan states “External engagement drives our contribution to a new development era. Better external engagement helps us reach audiences who will affect policy and programmes globally, which in turn broadens our partnerships and mobilizes more resources for development, magnifying our impact.”To further UNDP’s external engagement on the SDGs, mobilize action, reach new audiences, engage youth, and unlock new resources for the SDGs, UNDP has undertaken several initiatives, all housed within the Innovative and Digital Partnerships Unit, which was established in 2021 to facilitate the development of creative partnerships and programs that accelerate progress towards the SDGs, raise non-traditional revenue streams for UNDP, and increase the organization’s advocacy and reach. The unit’s activities are three-fold:
- Digital partnerships, including work with Samsung and the Samsung Global Goals app;
- Individual Giving campaigns led by other UNDP units (e.g., policy teams) or country offices;
- Individual Giving campaigns led corporately.
The Digital Fundraising and Marketing Specialist is expected to strengthen all core activities in a variety of ways and raise the profile of the unit within the organization and even beyond, to other UN agencies. The position requires a combination of strategic, relationship management, project management, and hands-on keyboard skills, and a deep interest and experience in digital fundraising practices, including campaign development (utilizing the Classy.org fundraising platform), awareness raising with external audiences (email, media planning, digital content marketing and advertising), and reporting (tracking, analytics).
The consultant will report to, seek approval/acceptance of outputs from the Senior Consultant on Digital Marketing and Fundraising. The consultant will also work closely with peers in the Media, Marketing and Digital Units of the Communications Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
The Digital Fundraising and Marketing Specialist is responsible for the following:
- Develop SDG Advocacy and fundraising content:
- Produce digital and multimedia content for UNDP digital channels to support key initiatives (e.g., blogs, page updates);
- Coordinate the delivery of, or directly provide translations of materials into French, Spanish, Japanese, and other languages, as needed;
- Manage the implementation of new and existing Central and Country Office Classy.org donor journeys related to UNDP’s crisis response campaigns;
- Propose and draft Samsung Global Goals app updates for inclusion in content pipeline;
- Identify new communication opportunities and content to support the Generation17 youth empowerment initiative, support young leaders for the SDGs (e.g., mentorship programs, website updates);
- Liaise with the media agency leading planning and execution of marketing automation and paid media campaigns;
- Contribute to the development of a network-wide skill building program (‘The Crowdfunding Academy’) and develop internal communications materials and manage a Crowdfunding Community of Practice;
- Support the implementation of the Google Ads Grant.
- Develop marketing, communications, and advertising materials:
- Produce owned marketing content and marketing copy to support key initiatives (e.g., social media, email);
- Work closely with graphic designers and/ or agency resources to develop new visual assets for individual giving/crowdfunding campaigns or other initiatives;
- Produce paid advertising campaigns to support key initiatives (e.g., media plans, Facebook ads, Google display, Google AdWords);
- Seek innovative ways to reach and engage influencers;
- Coordinate the delivery of, or directly provide translations of materials into French, Spanish, Japanese, and other languages, as needed.
- Program and Project Management:
- Support the planning, execution and delivery of fundraising programs and projects in coordination with various stakeholders including partners, vendors, agencies, regional and country office liaisons, and communications, marketing, & advocacy teams;
- Manage intern cohorts;
- Coordinate joint initiatives with local and regional partners.
- Develop monthly reports, briefs, semi-annual recaps, and ad hoc reporting for key initiatives for both internal and external audiences.
- Leadership – Ability to persuade others to follow;
- Communication and Relationship Management - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform;
- Innovation – Ability to make new and useful ideas work;
- People Management – Ability to improve performance and satisfaction;
- Delivery – Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Brand and Quality Management - Ability to strengthen UNDP's identity and distinction through its brand and uphold it to a high level of quality;
- Media Relations - Ability to form and maintain meaningful working relationships with various members of the media;
- Digital Media - Ability to stay up to date on future technology/digital systems to maintain UNDP's presence and impact;
- Design Thinking - Knowledge of method (s) for practical, creative resolution of problems and creation of solutions, with the intent of an improved future result;
- Partnership - Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education:
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, International Relations and/or other relevant field.
Min. years of relevant Work experience:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience at the national or international level in marketing, partnerships and/or fundraising, preferably for social mission-driven organizations or initiatives.
- Demonstrated track record of leading audience engagement and network building for engaging diverse global communities and to achieve fundraising goals;
- Understanding the range of social media and other digital platforms, as well as content management systems, contact management, online fundraising platforms and associated technologies;
- Experience in the creation, execution, and management of fundraising campaigns;
- Strong marketing writing and editing skills is required;
- Project management skills required.
Desired additional skills:
- Additional multimedia production and visual and digital design skills preferred;
- Experience with planning creating, managing, and optimizing digital advertising campaigns in Facebook, Google (Display and PPC) preferred;
- Experience with external advertising, public relations, digital marketing firms and contracts preferred;
- Fluency in at least one other language (French, Spanish, etc.) is highly desirable.
Required Language(s) (at working level):
- Fluency in the English language, both written and oral, is required;
- Knowledge of another UN language is desirable.
- Google Ads is desired.