Communication Assistant (National Position)
Overall purpose of the role:
The position is area focus and the post-holder will be a member of the DRC Somalia/Somaliland team and focus on communications; media advocacy, knowledge generation, management and promoting shared learning among actors. He/she will also support development of content and communication material. He/she will capture and consolidate project activities and success stories to be shared with relevant actors.
- Help in development and implementation of DRC Somalia Communications strategy to showcase project interventions along with knowledge generations, sharing and dissemination.
- Design dynamic and engaging visuals for social media platforms, publications, events material and signage, infographics, data visualizations, icons, brochures, flyers, report covers, layout and dashboards.
- Play a role on engaging with the national and local level media channels to highlight and advocate project objectives through talk shows, special reports, packages, and news items.
- Inform, educate, and persuade journalists, media community and opinion makers through workshops, formal and informal meetings to help advocate project objectives to relevant stakeholders.
- Capture the events and project activities and present them at various communication platforms to raise awareness along with showcasing the project impact.
- Ensure documentation and consolidation of human-interest stories, which can be communicated externally.
- Create and develop IEC materials with the support from the communication department.
- Provide up to date content for DRC social media platforms.
- Research, prepare, fact-check, edit and produce professional media and communications materials for target audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via DRC communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards.
- Develop graphic content, including video and audio including but not limited to infographics, social media visuals, video scripts and storylines.
- Ensure adequate communication coverage, through a variety of tools (written, video/audio, social, media) of project activities and products, deliverables, objectives and results to key donors, stakeholders, and beneficiaries.
- Draft human impact stories working in conjunction with Comedications, Team Leader and keeping sensitive to needs of both internal and external audiences.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by Line Manager.
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 2 years' experience working in communications and/or advocacy with international NGO
- University Degree or Diploma in communication, journalism or similar or equivalent professional qualification
- Good Graphic design skills (Adobe Illustrator, Photo Shop and In Design)
- Excellent oral and written skills and demonstrated ability to write and develop strong communication and advocacy materials
- Professional communication skills, including social media and other media skills, plus strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint essential), and familiarity with working in multimedia contexts
- Fluency in Somali language
- Advanced English proficiency
- Arabic speaking person is an added advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the country team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
Collaborating: You lead initiatives at country operation level by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen to beneficiaries, staff and other stakeholders; and you communicate concisely and persuasively
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values and set a very clear standard for your country team members..
Availability: October 2021
Duty station: Mogadishu
Reporting to: Team Leader- Protection
Duration: 6 Month with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band NM-I for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to NATIONALS ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 18th September 2021.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport