Legal Consultant - Akkar
Kobayat / Akkar
Under the supervision of the Senior Legal officer, Senior Protection Manager and Legal Manager, the consultant will identify legal needs in the field, provide counseling and assistance including representation in relevant administrative bodies and/or courts to women and girls at risk / survivors of Gender Based Violence (GBV), with a specific focus on Syrian refugees.
The consultant will be responsible for conducting legal information sessions and provide direct legal assistance to women and girls at various sites including the Women and Girls Safe Spaces (WGSS) and mobile safe spaces. In addition, the consultant will conduct field visits according to shared schedules to provide consistent follow-up with beneficiaries of Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE), if and as needed. The consultant will work with community leaders to support advocacy at the community level and engage in mediation and negotiation as needed. The legal service provider should have previous experience working in women’s rights and/or gender.
Legal case management:
- Provide clients with legal counselling on issues including but not limited to legal residency and civil status documentation.
- Provide direct legal support to assist women and girls to access civil status documentation, including but not limited to marriage and birth registration.
- Assist women and girls at risk / survivors of GBV/SGBV on legal matters before administrative and judicial bodies, including religious and civil courts.
- Represent women and girls at risk / survivors of GBV in different courts,
- Mediation with private stakeholders and authorities, including and not limited to eviction cases.
- Conduct field visit to Informal Tented Settlements and residential areas to ensure adequate follow-up on cases.
- Manage the hotline while present in the office as per Sr Protection Manager request.
Legal information sessions:
- Ensure provision of the most updated legal information according to IRC’s guidance notes.
- Develop legal content for information sessions in coordination with the Legal manager.
- Conduct legal information sessions in coordination with the protection team / Legal team and WPE and in adherence with set targets.
- Conduct legal information sessions in coordination WPE team.
- Enter every case on the dedicated platform on a daily basis.
- Provide a progress report according to set templates to Sr Protection Manager and Legal Manager on a weekly basis.
- Analyze data and highlight trends, legal protection needs and changes in legal frameworks and practices in reports.
- Keep records of the urgent legal needs identified and the actions taken to assist persons of concern.
Representation & Advocacy:
- Work to strengthen IRC’s relationship with refugees, refugee/host community leaders and municipal actors in order to maintain good access to POCs.
- Support the Protection Team Leader to conduct advocacy on behalf of the community.
- Upon requests Legal Officers can be asked to conduct other duties by supervisor according to changes in context.
Key Stakeholders and Relationships
- Consultant will be accountable to Senior Legal Officer, Senior Protection Manager and Legal Manager.
- Close coordination with other colleagues within WPE and other programs, TU staff, and external counterparts.
- Close working relationship with IRC Lebanon field office