Business Support Assistant (Fuel Management) SC4, Damascus VA019-2021
syrian arab republic
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications should be received no later than September 19th 2021
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION
This position is open to Syrian or Syrian/Palestinian nationals, or holders of a work permit and residency in Syria.
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC4)
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Damascus
Number of required employees: 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hunger globally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
The Business Support Assistant (Fuel Management) will work in the Administration Unit within Syria Country Office and will be based in Damascus.
To act as the Fuel Management focal point both in the Country Office and Field Offices.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Responsible for the receipt, storage, filling, internal handling, and shipment of fuel between locations
- Supervise all fuel tanks/pumps locations in Damascus with the needed safekeeping of equipment’s status with the proper reporting of maintenance whenever needed
- Plan and schedule site activities to optimize resources and facilities to meet the performance specifications
- Prepare and submit reports or other verifying documentation to direct supervisor as required for both local contract requirements and WFP requirements.
- Follow up on supporting other UN agencies fuel requests/demands and properly manage the cost recovery processes, along with preparing needed documentations and approvals.
- Gather information with clear direction to support the drafting of documents and preparing reports by other staff.
- Respond to queries and escalate where appropriate, in order to provide a timely and accurate service to clients.
- Support processing and managing routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources.
- Provide revision and proof-reading services for standard documents, to contribute to the development of accurate documentation.
- Take responsibility for the maintenance of set standard systems and files, to ensure information is accurate and readily available for the function.
- Identify simple discrepancies in statistics and data, such as missing information, and report to senior staff in order to support clients to deliver their work.
- Take responsibility for data integrity to facilitate availability of accurate information in corporate systems.
- Provide guidance on routine business support methods and practices to junior colleagues to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
- Work with a variety of individuals, taking on feedback where appropriate to assist in business support delivery for staff.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education
Experience: 3 years’ experience in the field of transport, operations or other related field with experience in general administrative work
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Arabic and English.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in your Work Experience:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title and grade (If UN, state exact grade and level)
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer. (If UN, state exact contract modality)
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: Main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- Proof of your work experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process.
- Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
- Follow the links below to submit your application. If the link does not work, copy and paste it in your browser address bar.
HOW TO APPLY
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Please ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.