Knowledge Management Officer (Fisheries Information and Visibility)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean (GFCM) is a regional fisheries management organization (RFMO) established under the provisions of Article XIV of the FAO Constitution. Its main objective is to promote the development, conservation, rational management and best use of living marine resources as well as the sustainable development of aquaculture in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea.
To this end, the GFCM formulates and recommends appropriate measures and ensures these recommendations are implemented; coordinates efforts by countries to effectively manage fisheries and aquaculture; monitors the status of fishery resources and carries out scientific work to support advice and decision-making; coordinates and benefits from the support of projects and programmes at the regional and subregional levels to enhance scientific cooperation and capacity-building among its contracting parties and cooperating non-contracting parties.
To support these endeavours and fulfil its mandate, the GFCM collaborates, interacts, gathers and shares information with a wide network of national institutions, consortia and academia, international organizations, intergovernmental, non-governmental and civil society organizations as well as experts and scientists. In this context and as its activities bring new projects, fields of work and an expanding organizational remit, new products and events need to be properly prepared and promoted. In addition, for its ambitious strategies to succeed, the GFCM needs to prepare effective documents and publications and to communicate effectively about its work and its impact to key audiences and stakeholders. Good publication, information and knowledge can contribute in obtaining support and participation and securing cooperation between all stakeholders involved.
The post is located in the GFCM headquarters at Palazzo Blumenstihl (Via Vittoria Colonna 1, 00193, Rome) and the incumbent is expected to provide expert support to the Executive Secretary and relevant staff of the GFCM Secretariat including its subregional technical units, transversally.
The Knowledge Management Officer reports to reports to the GFCM Executive Secretary and maintains regular contact with the Office of Communications (OCC) and the Fishery Division (NFI) as well as other relevant FAO Divisions and Offices including FAO Regional, Subregional and Country Offices as well as with the GFCM Technical Units, membership, partnership and relevant stakeholders.
Support the dissemination of information and the production of knowledge-related products to enhance the visibility of the GFCM's work and activities among its membership, partnership and donor base, in line with the GFCM mandate, policies and priorities.
Contribute to the development and strengthening of the knowledge management's activities in the Organization.
• Contributes towards the design, planning and organization of knowledge management as well as knowledge sharing activities;
• Contributes towards and implements strategies for engagement with external partner organizations and relevant FAO technical units, with the objective of establishing functional collaboration mechanisms for the joint development and dissemination of knowledge and information products, as well as capacity development activities;
• Reviews technical lessons learned through the provision of methodological guidance and/or facilitation of multistakeholder workshops with technical units, decentralized offices and partner organizations;
• Develops and prepares relevant documentation as well as training materials;
• Supports the preparation and organization of meetings, seminars and workshops, attends coordination meetings and represents FAO in knowledge and information management activity work groups;
• Drafts plans, policies and procedures for the design, implementation and maintenance of knowledge management as well as capacity development activities, procedures and systems.
• Supports and contributes to the development and dissemination of information and other knowledge-related products and outreach materials of the GFCM, including through its Technical Units in the subregions;
• Supports the implementation of the GFCM's communication and visibility plans in order to enhance the overall understanding and visibility of its activities and mission, in line with the requirements of external donors;
• Contributes to the overall process of planning, design, production and dissemination of GFCM publications and associated products, leading efforts towards increasing the production of digital products;
• Coordinates and supports technical teams involved in the preparation of outreach materials and publications as well as in the implementation of the GFCM's communication and visibility strategies and in the production of related products such as editorials, press releases and web stories;
• Provides advice and training to GFCM staff at its headquarters and at technical units on the production of documents and information materials so to ensure their quality and consistency with GFCM and FAO standards and strategies;
• Drafts and edits technical and policy-related information materials in English and/or French, including statements, strategic documents, speeches and presentations;
• Coordinates the finalization of documents, publications and information material, including scientific and technical documents and reports, webpages, newsletters, infographics, videos and others, ensuring that visuals, contents, style and terminology are in line with FAO standards and policies;
• Ensures the overall consistency of the different language versions of GFCM information products and materials (including working documents, reports, publications, webpages and other outreach material);
• Sets up and coordinates procedures to enhance the overall quality of GFCM information products and materials, including through quality-check and peer-review processes;
• Carries out tasks in compliance with FAO standards (FAO style, FAO terminology and names of countries);
• Maintains repositories and databases related the GFCM's documents, media, publications, knowledge resources and dissemination products;
• Participates in multidisciplinary project/work teams;
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in international relations, languages, communication, social science, journalism, political science or a related field;
• Five years of relevant experience in communications, knowledge management and/or outreach in international organizations or in private enterprises;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in knowledge management and project management;
• Extent and relevance of experience in supporting large-scale conference or meetings and in producing information materials for high-level events;
• Extent and relevance of experience in managing publication projects and processes as well dissemination activities;
• Extent and relevance of experience in drafting high-quality materials for a wide variety of audiences and in producing knowledge products;
• Extent and relevance of experience in preparing and revising technical and scientific documents, publications and reports, managing document dissemination processes and coordinating communication and visibility strategies within the framework of inter-governmental meetings, governing body sessions and major events;
• Familiarity with FAO processes supporting the production of information and knowledge materials and their quality check is considered an asset;
• Knowledge of the work and functioning of Regional Fisheries Management Organizations (RFMOs) is considered a strong asset;
• Working knowledge of French is considered a strong asset.