Project Management Support Officer , Multiple positions
Batticaloa / Mullaitivu
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations helping a wide range of partners in delivering peace, security, humanitarian and development projects across the world.
UNOPS Sri Lanka implements tailored socio-economic development projects that benefit vulnerable people and supports the Government national capacities. UNOPS has been working across Sri Lanka managing education, public health, roads, water and sanitation, fisheries, agriculture and solid waste infrastructure projects. UNOPS also provides expertise in procurement, fund management and human resources management services.
As part of its programme implementation and advisory capacity, UNOPS will work closely with members of the Sri Lankan civil society to provide them with skills, tools and training to support their work in assisting the people and communities of Sri Lanka. As part of this initiative to strengthen technical skills and management capacities, the selected candidate will work closely with a wide range of stakeholders from the civil society to provide them with technical support and guidance to enhance their work and support to vulnerable communities.
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager and in close coordination with other colleagues and UNOPS field teams, the Project Management Officer in Protection will oversee the delivery of activities in protection implemented by UNOPS partners and provide technical advisory services to ensure the smooth delivery of said maybeactivities and services to the civil society as per agreed policies and standards. The Project Management Officer has a high sense of integrity, confidentiality and the ability to engage sensibly with local stakeholders including local authorities and local communities. This position is 100% field based and will support the implementation of UNOPS project objectives and activities related to protection.
UNOPS is recruiting 2 positions one located in Mullaitivu and the other one in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka with frequent travels within the North and Eastern provinces of the island.
| 1. Activity Planning ● Provide the Programme Manager (PM), with coherent work plans (weekly, monthly and semester wise) for each partner and/or area of protection services. |
● Assist the Project Manager in ensuring follow up of the activities with relevant partners through the organization of regular periodic meetings at the field level.
● Report to the Project Manager any issues on the established work plans
| 2. Activity Execution ● Assure work plans are followed at the field level and set up a management system for tracking partners progress and performance. Alongside the PM, the PM Officer will ensure that the planned activities are conducted in time.He/She will assure the timely execution of project and milestone by organizing and following up on the progress |
● The Project Management Officer will escalate to the PM any risks, issues and provide solutions from the ground.
● The Project Management Support -Officer will be solution focused and team oriented in order to rally both the project management team (UNOPS) with members of the civil society.
● The project management officer will support the capacity assessment and selection process of civil society partners to UNOPS civil society platform and lead partners and community outreach : verification of the selection of partners, operational support in relation to partners
| 3. Protection ● Protection Analysis : he/she will maintain a strong protection analysis of issues and trends in the protection situation within and affecting the area of deployment for programme, advocacy and management purposes. |
● Provide programmatic and operational support to partners in matters related to Protection
● Provide technical inputs into UNOPS SOPs and other related curricula and protection tools developed in the framework of the project and make recommendations for improvements.
● Ensure mapping of effective referral pathways are kept updated.
● Refer protection cases to relevant partners, update relevant databases on referrals and feedback
● Contribute to the improvement of UNOPS protection programme and ways of working through the identification and communication of challenges, gaps, recommendations and lessons learnt
● Ensure confidentiality and impartiality of all recipients and persons of concerns cases at all time
4.Coordination and representation● Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders including government authorities, partners, and service providers and other relevant stakeholders and persons of concerns in the area of deployment. ● Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues, including bar association and others involved in support to displaced people
● Represent UNOPS at area meetings located in the field when requested
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall quality of protection activities and programme supported by UNOPS. Knowledge and practice of protection mechanisms will ensure adequate safety and protection of civil society partners and organisations and improve indirectly assistance and protection of vulnerable communities and persons of concerns.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
● Master degree in Social Sciences, law, Project Management Human rights, Psychosocial Counselling or related field is required.
● Diploma or Bachelor degree in one of the a above fields combined with 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master
● A High School diploma combined with 6 years of relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of the University degree
Minimum 4 years working in human rights and/or protection of vulnerable communities and/or persons of concerns in Sri Lanka Experience with Protection mandated agencies or organizations Previous experience in location / area of the posting is an asset
Fluency in written and oral Tamil is required.
Fluency in written and oral English is required
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: Local ICA Specialist
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
- The position is open to Sri Lankan nationals only.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.