Public Engagement, Outreach, and Partnerships Lead
Duties and Responsibilities
- Curates and oversees implementation of the country office public engagement and outreach strategies based on goals and priorities
- Assesses the impact of the country office public engagement and outreach implementation and makes adjustments accordingly as informed by trends, media and audience analysis
- Integrates issue-based and people-centered advocacy around key priority areas relevant to UNDP's work in Nigeria in support of accountability and transparency
- Ensures communication on and around UNDP contribution and that of its partners to Nigeria’s development agenda is relatable, contextualised, locally understood and visible through evidence-based stories of impact and documentation of lessons learned
- Fosters outreach partnerships with communication innovators, creatives and social influencers to achieve programmatic visibility and engagement
- In collaboration with team leaders, and based on their insight, guides the production of results-based communications assets that enhance understanding of UNDP work, programmatic accountability and public appreciation of the UNDP offer
- Leverages innovative communication approaches, tools and outlets including digital and social media campaigns to enhance understanding of UNDP work in Nigeria
- Provides technical and oversight support to the packaging and promotion of work carried out under Regional Stabilization Programme, the Accelerator Lab and ECOWAS/EU Small Arms and Light Weapons Programme
- Supports country office efforts to position UNDP as a trusted partner of choice and convener of policy dialogues on crucial development priorities
- Identifies opportunities to convene development partners, think-tanks, academia, civil society, media, UN and others around development issues and priorities that can support Nigeria’s acceleration of the SDGs
- Works with the Senior Management Team (SMT) and team leaders in positioning UNDP Nigeria as a thought leader and an integrator within the development domain, in a manner that promotes UNDP's offer and boosts demand for collaboration at programmatic and policy level
- Liaises with UNDP’s Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy to ensure full alignment of the country office partnerships and communications strategy with UNDP corporate partnerships, policies and procedures
- Contextualises and integrates regional and global public campaigns that promote UNDP as a leading development partner and influences national development agendas based on current programmes and new initiatives
- Strategically supports UNDP engagement with the Nigeria creative sector for development
Manages proactive media engagement and management focusing on the following:
- Supports country office and programme inoculators' public engagement and messaging to articulate UNDP's offer, programmatic priorities, key milestones, impact and results
- Works with the Resident Representative, senior officials, team leaders and project focal persons to produce blogs, op-eds and speeches, talking points, organise interviews and support high-level programme visits and events that showcase UNDP work
- Provides timely support on responses to reputational management inquiries raised by media and donors in close consultation with the Regional Service Centre in Addis Ababa, RBA regional and sub-regional teams and, BERA
- Delivers substantive oversight and quality assurance of communication products, including external website and social media platforms by strengthening their utility for public engagement.
Ensures Effective team management focusing on the following:
- Manages Partnerships and Communications unit and delivery of its work plan as aligned to the country office vision and priorities
- Under the guidance of the Resident Representative, sets priorities of the Partnerships and Communications unit in support of programmatic delivery and resource mobilisation
- Oversees the development and implementation of the Partnerships and Communications unit annual work plans
- Encourages and fosters intra-team collaboration to ensure the provision of an integrated package of partnerships and public engagement support to the country office
- Supports staff development and professional growth to achieve the desired results as outlined in UNDP's people management strategy
- Represents the Partnerships and Communications unit at various internal and external engagements
- Manages recruitment of consultants and delivery of their tasks
- Shares an instrumental culture of knowledge management and sharing within the team and with partners
- Actively engages in relevant UNDP communities of practice and other practice networks, within UNDP, in the broader UN landscape and externally
- Leverages the use of blogs, social media, and communities of practice to ensure wide dissemination of positions, events, debates on programmatic work and related issues
- Ensures the continuous analysis and collation of lessons learnt, best practices and impact in the area of communications for development
- Provides advice and support to UNDP inputs to CCA, United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), Country Programme Document (CPD) and other documents
- Organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on communications and advocacy.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
- Ability to strengthen UNDP's identity and distinction through its brand and uphold it to a high level of quality.
- Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Ability to communicate the value and distinct characteristics of a product or service and to understand the market landscape.
- Ability to form and maintain meaningful working relationships with various members of the media.
- Originating and/or editing written content for media and the general public to be disseminated through press or other online outlets
- Ability to manage information sharing and partnership alliances between the UNDP and the public
- Ability to represent and promote the UNDP brand in virtual communities / networks and promote citizen engagement in UNDP's work
- Ability to maintain and establish networks of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in mass media, public relations, journalism, international relations or related studies
- Master’s Degree with 5 years or Bachelor’s with 7 years of progressively responsible for teams with relevant professional work experience in communication, print, broadcast, and/or new media and or fundraising/corporate communication, advocacy, Public Relations, project management, brand management including
- Work experience in conflict related contexts, ideally at national or regional level is an asset
- Demonstrated experience in partnership development, collaboration and management is required
- Demonstrated skills and experience in media and public engagement through dynamic platforms is required.
- Experience in communications for development is not mandatory but an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills is required.
- Experience in leading teams to create highly effective content targeting various audiences for use on digital platforms and mainstream media using innovative approaches and tools is required
- Experience in the United Nations, a governmental, other multilateral or civil society organization is an asset.
- English Proficiency.
- Other official language of the UN will be desirable.
*QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.