Country Manager, Armenia
The Department of Programs is the central management and coordinating function for program delivery and capacity development. It is responsible for the implementation of IDLO’s global program portfolio for field and non-field locations in line with organizational strategy.
The Country Manager reports to the Regional Program Manager working in close coordination with the Director of Programs on strategic/representational issues.
The Country Manager establishes the basis for IDLO’s presence at the country level through identification of opportunities, securing of program resources, developing compelling programs, and providing consistently high-quality execution which distinguishes the organization. The Country Manager assumes overall responsibility and accountability for, and coordination of, the operational and programmatic activities of IDLO in the country. The Country Program Manager has delegated financial authority, approval authority for the delivery of projects and services, authority to act as an external representative on IDLO’s behalf, and management and internal controls responsibilities.
The Country Manager represents IDLO with Partners, IDLO HQ staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, donors, and civil society.
Summary of key functions:
- Responsible for the overall management of the Program, ensuring effective, efficient, results-based, and timely delivery of activities and results;
- Lead the development of Country Strategy, in line with IDLO’s global programmatic priorities;
- Lead Program Development;
- Responsible for the day to day management of IDLO Field Program Office;
- Represent IDLO before senior government officials, the donor and international community, and other external and internal stakeholders as appropriate.
Key results expected
1. Responsible for the overall management of the Program, ensuring effective, efficient, results-based, and timely delivery of activities and results;
- Oversee the implementation of the Program’s work plan, analyze and anticipate delays and challenges, proposing adjustments as required;
- Oversee the local financial management of the program, review the Program’s financial reporting and Program budget forecasts;
- Expedite program implementation through discussions and correspondence with technical, substantive, and project personnel, ensuring HQ support, including undertaking field visits and analysis of periodic program progress reports;
- Provide technical support and supervision to ensure compliance with IDLO’s quality standards throughout the implementation of the Program’s activities;
- Supervise the preparation of timely donor narrative reports in collaboration with the relevant Program Managers at the Country Office level and in consultation with the Program Coordinator/RPM at IDLO Headquarters;
- Ensure that key achievements and results within the Country Office are promptly brought to the attention of IDLO stakeholders, including External Relations, Resource Mobilization, and Research & Learning;
2. Lead the development of the Country Strategy, in line with IDLO’s global programmatic priorities;
- In coordination with the Regional Program Manager, lead in the development of country strategies, sharing accountability with the RPM for key performance indicators ensuring that these are aligned to the strategic priorities of the organization;
3. Lead Program Development
- Identify new program opportunities and develop team capacity to deliver and promote program development;
- Liaise with external stakeholders and donors to maintain or enhance existing relationships to the benefit of the Organization, as well as to actively participate in advancing new donor and stakeholder partnerships;
- Oversee the design of implementation plans within the designated area by means of standardized program cycle management tools, logic models and frameworks, work plans, monitoring reports, and others;
4. Responsible for the day to day management of IDLO Field Program Office;
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the field office, including but not limited to administration, procurement, human resources, logistics, and finance, ensuring consistent application of IDLO rules, processes and procedures;
- Effectively lead the team by providing clear direction, addressing staff development, and implementing performance management through ongoing dialogue, feedback, and mentoring; motivate and support team with a view to fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting;
- Responsible for developing a Country Office staffing plan, coordinating with Human Resources in the recruitment and selection of employees;
- Oversee the monitoring of contracts, responsible for providing recommendations on extensions/promotions/terminations and other amendments to contracts;
- Monitor the Program implementation environment, including security, political, development, and personnel issues that may affect the implementation of IDLO projects; In coordination with IDLO’s Regional Security Adviser and Country Security focal person, record issues and risks and guide necessary responses of the Program to changes in the political and security situation;
5. Represent IDLO before senior government officials, the donor, and international community, and other external and internal stakeholders as appropriate;
- Represent IDLO in internal and external meetings ensuring that project achievements are shared to position IDLO as a partner in the work of development in the area of rule of law:
- Coordinate program and organizational activities with the Armenian Government and other stakeholders and donors;
Ideal Candidate Profile
Education and Work Experience
- Advanced university degree in international development, law, public administration, business administration, public policy or other relevant social sciences.
- 10-12 years of significant relevant professional experience within an international organization, designing and implementing complex programs.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in Russian would be an advantage.
Specific knowledge, skills, and competencies
- Familiarity with standard program and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT software and internet software.
- Works well with others and actively participates. Shares information contributes, encourages, and motivates others to become involved in team activities. Provides constructive feedback and willingly helps others. Contributes to a fair environment that fosters collaboration and cooperation. Works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries.
- Acts as a role model and offers guidance to colleagues. Takes initiative to share knowledge, experiences, and information with others. Accepts and gives constructive feedback (up, down, and across) to develop and motivate others.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country, if necessary.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate. Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally professional recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 12 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of USD 94,800 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical and mission insurance, leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: September 21, 2021 (23:59hrs, Rome Time).