Water Engineer/ Retainer
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS is undertaking a project to enhance access to basic water services among Sinjar residents in Iraq, through rehabilitation of damaged water facilities, such as potable and /or storm water pumps, generators, and parts of water treatment units. The project also entails procurement of equipment and tools such as hybrid water pumps, screen water filters or any needed equipment. The procurement will be based on incorporating innovative technologies and renewable and hybrid systems where applicable.
The final scope of work and targeted locations will be further determined after conducting in-depth technical as well as community assessments, in coordination with the government authorities at the planning stage of this project.
Under the direct supervision of the project manager, the Water Engineer will be involved in the assessment, scoping, planning, design and supervision of water supply components and facilities in Sinjar. The incumbent will be responsible for the following specific tasks but not limited to:
- Take a lead in conducting a rapid needs assessment for water supply in Sinjar in coordination with the Government authorities and other International organizations in the area.
- In coordination with the area Government authorities, take the lead in identifying the priority interventions to be scoped within the UNOPS project in consideration of the limited project budget.
- Take a lead in planning and design of all components/facilities of the water supply system prioritized with the scope of the UNOPS project.
- Take a lead in the preparation of bidding documents (drawings and BoQs, specifications) and submission of the same for reviews and subsequent use in the procurement of the Contractor for the project.
- Support the PM/team in defining the implementation methodology and the technical means to use or adapt to each component of water supply facilities works;
- Support the PM/team for deadlines, quality and cost management of works as well as strict compliance with UNOPS health and safety and social and environmental requirements and plans;
- Support the PM/team in the administration of construction works contracts, and liaise with the Government authorities and the project stakeholders during project implementation;
- Support the PM/team in the management and reduction of risks related to project in a consistent and efficient manner;
- Act as the technical interface, coordinating UNOPS, partners and stakeholders as required; and incorporating design review comments.
- Supervise the overall physical progress of works of the contractors; take appropriate corrective measures to ensure timely delivery within budget ensuring quality of the work;
- Report on project progress, challenges, risks and recommendations, and contribute to the final project report
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
● Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision and direction;
● Capable of working with others in a participatory and capacity building manner;
● Ability to establish and maintain excellent contacts with colleagues, government officials, community representatives and contractors;
● Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people;
● Ability to multitask and prioritize work schedules;
● Strong community liaison, mobilization and negotiation skills required;
● Working knowledge water sanitation design software and MS Office Applications required;
● Knowledge of G Suit Package
● Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment;
● Strong communications skills and ability to work with a team to achieve organizational goals;
● Good negotiation skills, and the ability to bring consensus amongst people;
- Bachelor’s Degree prefereably in Water/Civil Engineering or other related discipline is required.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in water supply engineering, including design of town/urban water supply schemes and/or water treatment plants, is required.
- Experience in conventional water treatment plants operation is desirable.
- Competency and experience in the use of the software packages for the preparation of engineering drawings is required.
- Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Arabic is required;
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contract Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: LICA 8
Contract duration: Retainer / Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This position is open for NATIONALS only
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.