UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is a development arm of the United Nations system, with offices in 180 countries. Globally, the organization employs 17,000 people and manages a budget of USD 5 billion each year.
The UNDP office in Skopje currently employs a team of 71 and manages a portfolio of projects in environment and energy, democratic governance and inclusive prosperity worth USD 17.5 million (in 2021).
UNDP is seeking a Project Manager to coordinate the work of all involved parties in order to ensure smooth implementation of planned project activities.
In early 2021 the Government of North Macedonia started the preparations for the development of 2021-2041 National Development Strategy (hereinafter: NDS), supported by a project implemented by the UNDP in coordination with RCO North Macedonia. UK GGF funding was secured to prepare a methodology for the process, all the background baselines and assessment of strategic documents, proposals for the institutional structure to manage and implement the project, the communications and engagement strategy and various other preparatory documents that could serve as input to the process.
The Phase II marks the actual process of formulating the NDS, supported by a system, a structure that will enable effective monitoring of the implementation, supporting the process of embedding the NDS priorities within the national strategic plans, reflecting them in various future planning documents, and making sure the NDS process accelerate the achievement of the 2030 Agenda.
The objective of the Project is to support the key national stakeholders to formulate and potentially roll-out the North Macedonia National Development Strategy for the period 2021-2041 and embed an inclusive system for implementation and monitoring of the NDS within the national administrative framework.
The Project will contribute to the creation of an enabling environment (structures, regulations, and resources) where all national stakeholders will be able to provide input to the development of an apolitical, inclusive, long-term, adaptable, and consensus-based vision for the country until 2041; as well to increased public awareness and empowerment for the whole of society to deliver national development goals and engage with the government to encourage the delivery of these goals.
The management of the project requires an experienced Project Assistant with advanced knowledge in administrative and financial project implementation. Her/His tasks include delivering the results specified in the project document within the established timeframe and budget, as well as regular reporting to the donor and the main beneficiaries.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent’s duties are outlined below and should be fulfilled in line with the prevailing UNDP rules and procedures as well as with due compliance with the UNDP internal control framework.
- Perform administrative and financial duties related to implementation of the project;
- Provide administrative and operational support to implementation of Support for development of North Macedonia 2021-2041 National Development Strategy (NDS) in North Macedonia, ensuring quality of business processes;
- Facilitate knowledge sharing within the Project;
- Ensure effective mainstreaming of gender equality.
- Ensuring effective Performance of administrative and financial duties related to implementation of the Support for development of North Macedonia 2021-2041 National Development Strategy (NDS) project
- Prepare requests of payments upon conducting proper control of the supporting documentation and ensuring that the supporting documentation meets the requirements and standards of UNDP rules and procedures;
- Ensure optimal flow of payments toward contractors to avoid delays (tracking the payments in the system and intervene as required);
- Assist in preparation of budget plans, budget revisions, financial reports, payments and status of funds and expenditures;
- Assist in analysis of financial information, availability of funds, readjustment of funds, monitoring of delivery of funds;
- Maintain the projects’ financial books and assure that necessary financial, procurement, disbursement and personnel matters are effectively addressed;
- Perform tasks in ATLAS in conjunction with the functions/roles given (creating requisitions, assisting in preparation of budget plans, budget status of funds, drafting budget revisions, uploading project - related documents particularly with reference to RMG requirements, generate various reports, etc.)
- Review/ financial reports submitted by counterparts, as needed;
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports based on donor and projects requirements and provide timely reports from Atlas (such as monthly reports; quarterly reports, CDRs etc.).
- Establish effective projects financial monitoring system that enable the projects to have a timely and accurate information.
- Providing administrative and operational support to project implementation in the country, ensuring quality of business processes
- Ensures that business processes are in line with the UNDP regulations and rules and the UNDP internal control framework;
- Provide direct support to the procurement processes including support to the tender evaluation and minutes taking/writing;
- Support management of contracts with companies (consultancies, works and supply of goods) and individuals (consultancy and other services). Organize a system of tracking contract implementation and ensure that project management is timely alerted on the key milestones (e.g., submission and payment deadlines), and possible deviations of the original contract schedules. Prepare and necessary documentation for the possible extension of contract (cost and non-cost)
- Assist in preparation of project work-plans through providing support in data collection, systematization and analysis of information, inter-action with institutions in data collection;
- Support recruitment activities, monitors delivery of inputs provided by the consultants, beneficiaries and contracted companies and communicate findings to Project Manager;
- Provides support to organizing and holding the meetings, including the preparation and dissemination of information and follow-up activities;
- Assists in preparation of draft job descriptions, vacancy announcements, requests for recruitments, interview minutes and requests for contract;
- Ensures full completion of monthly leave reports and attendance records of project staff;
- Ensures regular office work is completed in a timely manner, including maintaining of all programme files, correspondence, photocopies, photos, etc.;
- Drafts various correspondence concerning finance, operations and budgetary issues as required by RO and CO North Macedonia;
- Maintains the inventory of project assets/equipment and project correspondence and files;
- Supports organization of workshops, trainings, sessions, conferences, and other events;
- Collects data and all relevant information to effectively contribute to measurable review of results and longer-term programme effects, as per the programme M&E plan and logical framework;
- Any other related duty as assigned by the Project Manager.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing within the project
- Ensure a continues flow of information, feedback, and ideas from the Resident Coordinator Office (RCO), UN Agencies and UNDP country office towards the project’s activities and goals.
- Participate in the training for the operations/project staff on administration and other relevant topics;
- Keep track of the changes of UNDP procedures and provide timely advice to the Project Manager and other project staff on what are the applicable procedures to fulfilling the project objectives;
- Ensure effective mainstreaming of gender equality:
- Ensure that all the data, when collecting and compiling inputs relating to the Project, are gender disaggregated to the extent possible;
- Support the reporting on gender mainstreaming as part of the corporate documents.
- Support the Project Manager in mainstreaming gender equality;
- Support preparation of gender equality background materials for use in discussion, correspondence and briefing sessions;
The Project Assistant will report to the Project Manager. The Project Assistant will be located in Skopje but will frequently travel throughout the country.
- Knowledge of project finance, knowledge of finance and accounting concepts, principles, regulations and policies
- Experience in organizing workshops, trainings and similar events and handling correspondence between different stakeholders, managing day-to-day activities related to event organization, etc.).
- Good communication, coordination and facilitation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and team building skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ethical standards
- Strong analytical, organizational, and reporting skills
- Familiarity with United Nations policies and administrative and reporting procedures is a strong advantage
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary education is required. A University degree is not mandatory but is a strong asset.
- At least 5 years’ experience (3 years for candidates with University Degree) of progressively responsible administrative or project experience
- Experience in projects dealing with democratic governance, public policy reforms and developing of policies on national level, is an asset
- Experience in project administration (finance, general administration) is an asset)
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills are required in both Macedonian and English. Knowledge of Albanian or other languages used in the country is an asset
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.