Field coordinator Chinaksen (M/F) - Ethiopia
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM France is currently opening a programme in eastern Oromia and Somali regions (Ethiopia). The intervention strategy aims to contribute to the reduction of morbidity and mortality by strengthening access to/and use of quality Maternal and Child Health and reproductive health services as well as reinforcing the Emergency Preparedness, paying special attention to the specific needs of the internally displaced population, in close collaboration with the health authorities and complementing the work of partners who already work in health in the woreda.
The activities will be implemented by a multi-sectoral consortium (health, protection and WASH) composed of three international non-governmental organizations (MdM France, MdM Germany, COOPI). The consortium will support 5 health centers (HC) as well as 21 health posts (HP) in the catchment areas of the health centers supported by the action. For populations (internally displaced persons and host communities) with difficulties in accessing functional health facilities, mobile clinics will be deployed offering a minimum package of activities, with a special focus on mother and child health,
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
You report directly to the general coordinator and you manage directly a programme coordinator, a logistics manager, an administrative manager, a base opening logistician. The total team is around 15 members of staff.
You work closely with the coordination team in Addis Ababa, as well as project partners (MdM Germany and COOPI).
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base
- Create/maintain a positive “team spirit” within the different departments and amongst the staff
- Support team members under direct supervision in their duties
Safety and Security Management
- Create and routinely update the security package and annexes for their area operations
- Ensure that all staff and visitors are briefed on the security package
- Ensure data collection about the safety and security in Oromia region, provide analyses and share all needed information
- Alert the general coordinator without delay in case of impending danger or incident of teams or beneficiaries
- Ensure timely and accurate security incident reports are send to the general coordinator
- Be an active part of the incident management team when incidents occur in area of operations
Program management overview
- Contribute to the humanitarian monitoring of the region
- Ensure the implementation of the program in the field and its follow-up in its different aspects
- Ensure the coordination of all project partners (MdM Germany and COOPI); preparation and follow up of the different MoUs; the general planning / implementing / monitoring of activities; information sharing; reporting (including financial)…
- Work with the program coordinator, partners and coordination team to adjust operational approach and activities, depending on changing needs in the area
- Contribute and give inputs for the update of MdM strategy in Oromia region
- Ensure the project compliance with donor and MdM procedures.
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM system/procedures are in place, maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure that the procurement plan (prepared by the log base) is consistent with the need of the project activities.
- Responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management at the project site in line with project proposal.
- Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to Addis Abeba coordination team
- Monitor, and then develop plans to mitigate any under or over expenditure at project level.
Human Resources Management
- Responsible for the well-being of all team members
- When relevant, contribute to recruitment and selection of staff
- Responsible for disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Maintain good inter-department communications, promote good team dynamics and take suitable action when problems occur
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival in the field and departing team members are debriefed and provide end of mission reports where applicable.
- Ensure capacity building and training of the national staff
- Represent MdM to NGOs, UN agencies, regional authorities, communities, donors and other relevant parties in the field and share information with the field and coordination teams
- Ensure base staff active participation to sub cluster meeting with UN agencies, local and national government bodies, and humanitarian coordination forums on a regular basis, and share information with respective technical coordinators
- Build strong relationship with humanitarian actors working in the area in order to identify potential synergies
- In the event of visits from donors, participate in the organization and implementation of the visits
- Supervise and contribute to the monthly sitrep
- Contribute to project proposition & reports to donors
- Report monthly to partners and authorities on activities
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Fixed term contract
Duration : 8 months
Starting date: 01/10/2021
Based in Chinaksen (Oromia Region)
Gross monthly salary: 3089 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Master’s degree in international relations, political sciences, international development, social sciences or any other relevant field.
Education in public health is an asset.
At least 2 or 3 years of similar relevant professional experience (ex: field coordinator, head of mission).
Solid experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing.
Experience in security management.
Experience in HR, financial and logistics management
Previous experience in one of MdM program sectors desirable
Previous experience in health system strengthening is a plus
Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.).
Capacity to work and to live in a multicultural environment
Ability to cope with last minutes changes and solution oriented
Listening and diplomacy skills
Team manager with a strong leadership
Experience in management of multi donor budgets
Experience in control purchase process
Independence, ability to take the initiative and of responsibility
Ability to work under stressful situation
Good analysis, objective, able to take a step back and analyse
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Capacity to delegate and to supervise and coach the work
Anticipation and adaptability,
Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations
Ability to plan, organise and meet deadlines
French: an asset
Oromo or Somali is an asset
Good knowledge of Office pack (word, excel, outlook)
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Please apply via the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JVnoNxWT?idpartenaire=128