Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of the Sustainable Development Cluster, the Programme Analyst supports the management of UNDP programme on sustainable development. The Programme Analyst analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities in the area of sustainable development and contribute to the provision of policy advice services.
The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Supports implementation of programme strategies
- Supports management of the CO programme
- Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Contributes to the provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
1.Supports implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identifies areas for support and interventions within the area of sustainable development, and in particular climate change, disaster risk reduction and energy. Provides technical assistance under these areas.
- Supports the Head of Cluster in engaging the UNDAF Thematic Area 2 Group on Sustainable Environment, Energy and Human Settlements for coordination and monitoring the implementation of the UNDAF (2012-2017).
- Contributes to the preparation of briefings and speeches for UNDP senior management’s participation in sustainable development related meetings, workshops and conferences.
2. Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the area of sustainable development assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Supports implementation of UNDP project portfolio on sustainable development. Monitor project activities and progress and ensure that the agreed deliverables are produced satisfactorily according to plans. In doing so, effectively apply RBM tools.
- Supports design and formulation of CO programme within the area of sustainable development, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions, in line with UNDAF and CPD. Coordinate programme implementation with the executing agencies.
- Supports initiation of a project, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. The Sustainable Development Analyst can perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Provides financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, and development of solutions. Participates in audit of NEX projects.
- Follows up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
3. Supports and facilitates the creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on UNDP’s UNDAF key results, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Conducts analysis and research of information on donors, prepares substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identifies opportunities for initiation of new projects, and provides active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization in the area of sustainable development.
- Provides of technical support to UNDP’s participation in donors' sector working groups on energy and environment.
4. Contributes to the provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identifies sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identifies and makes synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals relating to sustainable development.
- Contributes to the preparation of drafts of technical policy advice and programme support documents in the area of sustainable development.
- Supports development of policies and institutions that will address the national sustainable development problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Contributes to UNDP’s policy advice to Government for the implementation of Ghana’s Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) to UNFCCC, the mainstreaming of the Sendai Framework on DRR, and the implementation of the Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All) Action Plan.
- Makes sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the success of country programme within specific areas of cooperation (sustainable development). In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
Levle 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Environmental Sciences, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing programme management support in the area of sustainable development; experience in the usage of computers and office software packages
Fluency in English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.