Editor/ Writer/ Researcher
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women in Lebanon has a range of periodic reporting obligations to its headquarters as well as to multiple donors as well as various knowledge management products. The reporting deadlines are spread over the year and include regular progress updates and final donor reporting on programmes and projects. Timely submission of results-focused reports by the office is essential to maintain and expand partnerships with donors.
Editing/ Proofreading - To ensure that reports (donor reports as well as knowledge management products) are submitted on time and to a high standard, UN Women seeks the services of a consultant with an excellent command in English as well as expertise in result-based reporting. The consultant will be responsible to edit and copy-edit the draft report and associated documents upon initial comprehensive technical feedback provided by the Lebanon office to programme managers, and to perform a final copy-edit upon receipt of updates and clarifications on the text from the relevant submitting office.
Writing & Capacity Building Support on M&R – To improves the quality of concept notes and project documents (including the logical framework, indicators and monitoring plan), UN Women seeks the services of a consultant with an excellent command in English, knowledge of gender and women’s empowerment issues as well as expertise in result-based reporting to support drafting documents and provide capacity building and technical support on Monitoring and Reporting.
Leading and writing assessments, research, data analysis – To continue disseminating knowledge assessments and studies on issues around gender equality and women’s empowerment, UN Women seeks for a consultant with a demonstrated understanding of gender issues, strong analytical skills as well as excellent writing skills that can conduct assessments, research and data analysis.
Objective of the Assignment:
The overall objective of the consultancy is to support UN Women in Lebanon to prepare high quality, analytical and results-oriented reports in a timely manner (editing/ proofreading), to provide technical support in the drafting of concept notes and project documents (monitoring & reporting support) and to leading and writing assessments, research, data analysis. The consultant will be directly supervised by the Planning and Coordinator Analyst and will be provided with a list of reporting obligations on a quarterly basis. The consultant will support the UN Women on a retainer basis during the year.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Edit, copy edit, and proofread draft country reports (including cover letter, annexes etc.) to be submitted to donors or to UN Women headquarters and others, and flag issues requiring further elaboration and or clarification by the relevant team.
- Ensure correctness of report language (i.e. use of grammatically correct language, spellings, politically appropriate language among others), tone and style, adhering to the UN Women style guide and results language.
- Draft donors report or concept notes from bullet points and information provided, when requested.
- Provide technical and capacity building on Monitoring and Reporting to the UN Women Lebanon Office
- Leading and writing assessments, research, data analysis on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues, when requested.
Depending on the needs and requests:
- High-quality reports of diverse objective and format, compliant with UN Women reporting guidelines and results-based monitoring and reporting standard (with an estimate of 3- 7 days review cycle to be set on a case-by-case basis).
- High-quality concept notes and project documents from bullet points and information provided by the UN Women country office
- Assessments, evaluations, research and data analysis if required
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues.
- Creative Problem Solving.
- Effective Communication.
- Inclusive Collaboration.
- Stakeholder Engagement.
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-andcompetencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Substantial knowledge of gender equality issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in written and oral
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Affairs/Development, Sociology, Public Administration, Economics, Gender and Women’s Studies, and/or with strong knowledge of gender issues, or related discipline. PhD will be an asset.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive relevant professional work experience on proof reading and editing reports with solid understanding of RBM based reporting
- Knowledge of gender and women’s empowerment issues (including Women’s Peace and Security, Women’s Political Participation and Women’s Economic Empowerment ? Ability to design research and evaluation projects, and lead these projects.
- Prior relevant work experience with UN Women or any other UN agency is an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of the social, cultural, and political context of the Arab Region, and women’s rights situation and work in the country is an asset.
- Computer skills, internet communication and command of MS Office and the use of STATA, R, and NVivo
- Substantial knowledge of monitoring and reporting, especially within UN Women.
- In-depth knowledge of data analysis and ethics.
- Proficiency in oral and written English is a must including analytical writing skills
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology: Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for the financial evaluation.
Criteria Weight Technical: 70% (70 points)
- Criteria 1: Relevance of Education – 10 points.
- Criteria 2: Relevance of experience in conducting similar assignment – 30 points.
- Criteria 3: Quality of samples of reports provided- 30 points
Financial: Lowest Financial Proposal: 30% (30 points)
The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula:
- Contract will be awarded to the technically qualified consultant who obtains the highest combined score (financial and technical).
- The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula: (Lowest Bid Offered*)/ (Bid of the Consultant) x 30.
- 'Lowest Bid Offered' refers to the lowest price offered by Offerors scoring at least 49 points in the technical evaluation.
Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- A cover letter with a brief presentation of your consultancy explaining your suitability for the work and link to portfolio of work.
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
- Financial proposal; Proposed inclusive daily rate. If different rates apply for the different tasks outlined in the ToR, please include these in the financial proposal.
The above-mentioned documents should be merged in a standalone file including all them, since the online application submission does only permit to upload one file per application. Incomplete submission can be a ground for disqualification.