Eligibility criteria Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment. Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the overall supervision of the WHO Representative and technical guidance of the External Relations Officer, the Communications Officer will perform the following taks:
- Ensure technical efficiency and effectiveness of communications and advocacy priorities, strategies and products pertaining to the World Health Organization Zambia Country Office's (WCO’s) overall activities;
- Support the development of regular newsletters/bulletins for the WCO;
- Update the WCO Communications Plan;
- Establish and maintain a database of WHO high resolution photographs;
- Maintain and update the WCO website as well as the WCO Twitter and Facebook Pages;
- Participate in UN Communications Group meetings and work closely with Communication Teams at Regional and Headquarters level;
- Document WHO activities in the field and participate in media and partner visits to WHO field operations;
- Support the External Relation Officer in building partnerships with all relevant actors by identifying and creating communication opportunities and designing communication and advocacy campaigns and materials on specific topics;
- Work with the Health Promotion Officer as well as technical units for the identification of communication needs and preparation of communication messages and materials, etc;
- Complete any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the functional supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, political science, social sciences, international relations or related field from an accredited/recognized institute.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at national and/or international level in journalism, communication, media or public relations involving public health with a proven track record in public relations or media;
- Experience in web site and social media design, maintained and updated with current information and proven experience in writing advocacy documents and in the production of communication materials and products;
- Courses in communication techniques such as graphic design, visual language and the use of social media is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization in the health context and experience in organizing advocacy campaigns;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in WHO, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Demonstrated interest and or experience in journalism and communication for development;
- Demonstrated ability in working with all forms of media in all situations;
- Proven skills in the development and implementation of communication/media products and tactics;
- Ability to "think out of the box" and to make innovative proposals to extend communication outreach;
- Knowledge or understanding of WHO mandate and goals in the emergency incident management context;
- Knowledge of public health sector and issues.