Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate all matters of assistance and collaboration with Police and Security agencies of the Host Government.
- Manage privately hired Security Guard Forces employed at the UN Agency office premises;
- Information management pertaining to security situation in the country;
- Conduct assessment related to Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM) and Residential Security Measures (RSM) for the duty station;
- Ensure and facilitate security coordination of Senior UN Official (SUNO) visits;
- Plan, organize and conduct Security Guard Training and assist in conducting Security Awareness Training (SAT) and Warden Training;
- Coordinate with Bangladesh Police all matters related to UN safety and security.
- Police coordination for UN-organized events.
- Police protection for UN office premises in the country.
- Security coordination for the visits of Senior United Nations Officials (SUNO) visits.
- Follow up cases and incidents related to UN staffs and dependents with Police and security agencies.
- Oversight of the privately hired security company guards that are deployed at the UN and specialized agency office premises in Bangladesh including IDB Bhaban;
- Evaluate privately hired security guard companies according to specific criteria and assess the most qualified and competent security companies fit for the job. Prepare and maintain private guard force contracts between the UN agencies and the hired security companies;
- Prepare Security Operating Procedures (SOP), monitor day to day activities of the security guard and receptionists, maintain 24/7 communication channel with the security guard force supervisors, physical check security guards’ performances. Identify weaknesses and make recommendations to SA and agency security focal points (SFPs);
- Conduct periodical training for security guards developing training curriculum on premises security;
- Liaise with respective Security Focal points / Security Officers of Agencies, Funds and Programmes on access control procedures and security issues at their respective premises;
- Act as a member of Security Technical Committee (STC), on behalf of UNDSS to work out implementing security related decisions & recommendations by the Senior Management Committee (SMC) for IDB Bhaban;
- Report all untoward security incidents to SA periodic and in regular security interventions;
- Assist SA assessing the security situation at the duty station by ensuring collecting, updating and sharing of information pertaining to prevailing security situation in the country;
- Liaise and coordinate with the host government law enforcement agencies in all areas of Bangladesh to enable security coordination at local level with UN Agency / Funds /Programmes operating in the area;
- Support UN staff in Police related issues;
- Provide inputs to SA regarding security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets. Prepare Security Incident Report (SIR), Security Assessments and Quarterly Incident Report (QIR).
- Conduct Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM) assessment established for the duty station. Compile data required for the SRMM Self-Assessment Programme of UN agencies and project offices security survey country wide;
- Assist SA in assessing reports of vulnerabilities of the Access Control Procedures of all UN agency country offices in Bangladesh;
- Conduct Residential Security Measures (RSM) assessment of UN international staff;
- Conduct SRAs for UN events in the capital and beyond organized by UN Agencies / Funds and Programmes;
- Enable police coordination for UN events in the capital and beyond organized by UN Agencies/Funds and Programmes;
- Assist SA in liaison and coordination with host government entities including Police, Intelligence, Special Branch, RAB, Civil Defense, District Administration etc.
- Provide support in collecting pertinent security information, planning, coordinating with agencies and finally producing Mission Operational Plan for SUNO visit;
- Compile and draft Personal Security Risk Assessment (PSRA) for Senior UN Officials’ (SUNO) visit to Bangladesh in close coordination with involved agencies. Assist in compilation & drafts SRA for SUNO visit and various programs organized by UN agencies in Dhaka and country wide;
- Take critical role leading/coordinating with the government assigned security forces and lead the SUNO convoy planning. Remain embedded as UNDSS representative with the SUNO during its visit to Bangladesh;
- Arrange and coordinate police escorts as and when required, coordinates with district authorities ensuring all out-security arrangements required for SUNO field visits country wide.
- Plan, organize and conduct / support with the UNDSS team 4x4 Defensive Driving Training (DDT) for drivers of all UN Agencies / Funds / Programmes; Security Awareness Training and Individual First Aid Kit Training for UN personnel country wide;
- Arrange training for Security guards on the job training periodically or required basis;
- Prepare training materials and organizes training evaluation process.
- To assess public road transportation: commercial buses and taxis, and make suitable recommendations.
- To assess rail transportation safety and make suitable recommendations.
- To assess water / river transportation safety and make suitable recommendations.
- Fire Safety of UN office premises.
- To conduct Facility Safety and Security Survey (FSSS) assessment of UN office premises.
- Maintain regular contact with Security Focal Points (SFPs) of UN agencies and provide security assistance and support;
- Assist in maintaining UN Warden system;
- To draft and prepare Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) related to his / her subject matter.
- Any other security related tasks assigned by the SA & DSA.
- All UN staffs must display three Core Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity:
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
- Places team agenda before personal agenda.
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings..
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view.
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects.
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent, preferably in social sciences, management, or a related security field, or formal multi-year education in Security Management.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in security, preferably in the police context or related field of work.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Bangla is required.
- Knowledge of VHF radio operation;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to travel inside the country;
- Strong computer skills are required. This includes - but is not limited to, a knowledge of many desktop applications that will be useful for the position, such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, e-mail and all Internet browsers.
- The United Nations is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, ethnicity and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and people living with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.