Finance and Administrative Officer
Post Number : ED 066
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 08-OCT-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Chief of the Finance Management and Administrative Unit reports to the Chief of the Executive Office of the Education Sector and is under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education and has a functional reporting line to the Chief Finance Officer. His/her mission is to facilitate the execution of activities and operations of the Education Sector, while warranting due respect of UNESCO rules and procedures, in the fields of Finance, Budget and Admnistrative Management. S/he manages a team of professional and support staff and provides expertise, authoritative advice, guidance and problem solving services on all cases of the Unit’s fields of competence. S/he will:
- Provide overall guidance to the Education Sector on preparation of Budget with regard to the Organization’s midterm strategy (C/4 document) and Programme and Budget(C/5 document), including workplans according to results-based management (RBM) and Results-based Budgeting (RBB) principles;
- Ensure that a mechanism for budget execution monitoring for regular budget and extra-budgetary funds is developed and implemented;
- Ensure the accurate and transparent recording of financial transactions according to IPSAS standards and in compliance with UNESCO financial rules and regulations;
- Ensure strategic and operational monitoring of financial management risks and of assets, resources and liabilities of the Sector’s operations;
- Act as Certifying Officer ensuring that financial transactions are in compliance with regulations, rules, policies and procedures;
- Propose strategies and design new processes to resolve recurring administrative problems and improve financial and administrative procedures;
- Coordinate and work closely with the Chiefs of Units responsible for strategic planning and human ressources management in the Executive office to identify holisitc solutions to issues relating to budget, finance and ressource implmentation of the Education Sector;
- Coordinates the Sector’s involvement in external audits, internal audits and donor accreditations/verifications and leads the implementation of recommendations related to financial management and internal controls and the follow up thereon;
- Act as focal point for financial and legal discussion with external partners such as donors and programme partners, and for effective interaction with UNESCO Headquarters support services
- Ensure that there is a procedure to provide and maintain healthy and safe working environment; effective local area network, individual work stations, printers, etc., and implement systems to ensure that the assets of the Sector are safeguarded;
- Collaborate with Headquarters Security Services on all-security-related issues and ensure that regular and smooth monitoring for the implementation of UN common security policies, procedures and standards are put in place.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in finance, public/business administration or accounting.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in budget planning and financial management of large scale projects or programmes, of which preferably 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Minimum 3 years of experience of developing and implementing systems to ensure compliance to financial requirements in Organizational rules, regulations, policies and procedures in donor agreements.
- Excellent knowledge and command of budgeting, work planning and development of sustainable financial management frameworks for large scale programmes in international settings.
- Knowledge of rules, regulations and administrative procedures within the UN system.
- Demonstrated skills in recording and reporting of financial transactions.
- Understanding of Results-based budgeting (RBB)/Results-based Management (RBM).
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his/her supervision.
- Hands on experience in UN or NGO financial environments.
- Ability to propose strategies and the development and organization of innovative initiatives; design new processes to solve recurring administrative problems.
- Services minded and solution oriented.
- Proven management ability and technical leadership.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations both as a team member and team leader.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Solid computer skills, intermediate knowledge of financial software including proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French (written and spoken) and fair working knowledge of the other language (English or French).
- An internationally recognized professional accountancy qualification.
- Advanced training in one or more of the following disciplines: budgeting or financial management.
- Atleast 3 years of experience at international level with international organization(s) or United Nations agencies.
- Knowledge of other working language of the UN (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, and/or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.