Management Specialist, Performance Division
New York City (United States of America)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
The Operational Performance Management Team is a group of internal UNDP management and performance analysts available to support UNDP business units worldwide to improve management and operational performance in line with UNDP’s Strategic Plan. This team is comprised of data analysts, as well as management and organization change advisors. The team is housed in the Office of Budget, Performance and Compliance. The team can be deployed globally to coordinate and deliver management consulting services globally.
The Performance Division contributes to the advancement of UNDP’s operational performance and organizational effectiveness by bringing industry-standard knowledge, advisory services, and data analytics for performance improvements and enhancements to UNDP’s overall day-to-day business. The Performance Division Chief reports to the BPC Director with an indirect reporting line to the BMS Director.
The Management Specialist promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach – and supports senior level client relationship management roles as well as team management roles on key organizational effectiveness engagements. The team covers a broad range of issues that include but are not limited to After Action Reviews (AAR), management assessments, quality assurance of services through the creation and implementation of customer service survey, standards and the creation of service level agreements, as well as substantive collaboration with Regional and Central Bureaus to help shape and advance UNDP’s operational performance.
The Management Specialist works in close collaboration with the Performance Division members in developing content and in delivery of organizational effectiveness advisory services and contributes to the coordination, training and engagement of the global network of advisors/consultants through the following functions:
- Design and Delivery of organizational effectiveness and improvement services to clients;
- Quality assurance of consulting engagements and development of business intelligence materials;
- Contribute to UNDP’s performance effectiveness and improvement practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Design and Delivery of Organizational Effectiveness and improvement services to clients:
- Provide dedicated support to UNDP offices for business transformations and organizational change agendas;
- Support forward-looking analysis on organizational performance to highlight priority areas for change management and business transformation engagement ensuring a deep understanding of business challenges and opportunities;
- Develop technical proposals, business cases, implementation plans/roadmaps, and communication/engagement strategies in response to deployments of multifunctional teams;
- Lead the data collection, research, analysis and presentation of information from diverse sources;
- Design and facilitation of change management workshops and presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Organize and prepare written outputs on behalf of the supervisors or the extended team;
- Draft end of engagement reports;
- Follow through with engagement clients to ensure recommendations.
2. Quality assurance of change management engagements and development of business intelligence materials:
- Make substantive contributions to organization-wide change management and business transformation practices, establishing a trusted relationship with internal stakeholders and external clients and evaluators;
- Contribute to the innovation in the management practice in UNDP through research and review of industry best practices as input to the development of data analysis tools and result based management in UNDP;
- Take a lead role in designing and revising tools and formats for business analysis in support of the Performance Division engagements;
- Manage the extraction, integration and reconciliation of data from different systems into a common format for business analysis supporting consulting engagements;
- Contribute to the development of quality content for the UNDP Management Practice and drive substantive and pragmatic debate and exploration of management issues in UNDP’s internal communication and collaboration fora.
3. Contribute to UNDP’s strategic performance effectiveness and improvement practices as outlined in the Strategic Plan focusing on:
- Provide technical support to complex management assessments and data analytics to inform internal operational improvements in both HQ and the field
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in organizational effectiveness as well as corporate priorities and special initiatives;
- Provide inputs to the joint BMS and central/regional bureaux solution networks;
- Work closely with and support activities complementary to those of the Performance Division, including the SDG Integrator within the GPN, the SURGE mechanism, and units involved in support to performance improvement and organizational change, including Regional Bureaux, BERA, the ExO, and BMS functional units;
- Leverage operations and programme/policy practices to spotlight opportunities and risks in UNDP business model and organizational performance;
- Provide sound contributions to hep strengthen the existing network of internal UNDP Program and Operations Managers on business transformation and change management, including preparation and facilitation of structured knowledge exchange initiatives and applied learning through management assessments and other engagements.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Ability to apply a systematic approach to adapt, control and effect change.
Strategic Planning / Visioning
- Ability to analyze the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans.
Service Delivery Coordination
- Ability to coordinate and deliver services in line with service level agreements and standards of excellence in UNDP.
Client Relationship Management
- Ability to develop trust among clients while delivering solutions with integrity and responsiveness.
- Ability to align resources and organizational structures as well as work approaches and culture to enable global collaboration with clear accountability
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in social policy, public policy, politics, economics, development studies or a related area.
- Minimum seven years of progressively responsible experience in management, human resources and/or consulting is required at the national or international level, including at least two years of experience with consulting related to organizational development and change management, preferably related to UNDP
- Successful candidates should have experience with team-based management and workshop facilitation.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) required.
- Written and verbal fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.