Administrative Assistant - Khartoum
International IDEA is managing a three-year EU-funded programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable, and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support the democratic transition by supporting the establishment of mechanisms for dialogue and consensus-building on the transition process; strengthen stakeholders’ capacity for constitution building; enhance stakeholders’ capacity for electoral reform that will facilitate credible electoral processes, and strengthen citizens awareness on the transitional process and broader democratic governance practices. It is anticipated that Sudan’s transition period and processes will provide an opportunity for Sudan’s transition to democracy.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing a variety of administrative and logistical support to the Head of Programme (HoP) in Sudan with full confidentiality in all aspects of the assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow, and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
He/ she will also contribute to the overall administration of the Sudan programme, handling a wide range of time-sensitive administrative responsibilities while practising high-level of judgement, discretion, and diplomacy in support of the HoP’s office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in all administrative aspects of the day-to-day work at the Head of Programme (HoP’s) office, contributing effectively to the achievement of the set goals and objectives of the Sudan programme;
- Assists with the organization of the internal and external communications of the HoP and his/her correspondence in English and Arabic, including drafting and updating social media pages;
- Manages the calendar of the HoP and serves as a point of contact for external visitors.
- Supports all protocol-related matters and coordinates logistical arrangements for high-level visitors;
- Contributes to the coordination of meetings, scheduling meetings, organizing interviews, seminars, conferences, workshops, etc. hosted by the Head of Programme.
- Acts as a point of contact for incoming communication, ensuring tact and discretion;
- Maintains an up-to-date directory of key contacts for the Head of Programme.
- Assists the Head of Programme with arranging regular internal staff meetings at the Sudan Programme and takes minutes for those meetings;
- Compiles briefing materials and prepares PowerPoint presentations for the HoP for meetings, missions, and other key events.
- In accordance with the existing Travel Policy, co-ordinates the travel, including cost control, travel requests and claims, and other associated issues for the HoP and other senior staff as necessary;
- Checks all incoming invoices and project advance requests. liaising closely with finance on all related issues.
- Provides additional administrative support to the Head of Programme and other staff members as appropriate.
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s core values; Respect, Integrity, and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma required, and preferably business and/or secretarial education. University Degree in business administration or public administration is an added advantage;
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in progressively responsible administrative work with high-level contacts, or experience as a personal/executive assistant;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required;
- Experience working with ERP systems is desirable;
- Experience of working in an international context with multi-cultural teams, e.g., in an intergovernmental organization is desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Spanish, French) is desirable.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed-term appointment until 30 June 2023
- Remuneration - USD 1 317 Gross per month
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to the relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Sudan.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) on 16 September 2021. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture, and nationality.