Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information – The Sanitation and Hygiene Fund (SHF)
The Sanitation and Hygiene Fund is a public-private partnership committed to saving lives and improving the well being of people by improving access to sanitation, hygiene and menstrual health hygiene. The Fund will invest in country led programmes to accelerate progress and sustainable impact toward the achievement of SDG 6.2.
The Fund will maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of international development assistance and national investment. Staff at the Fund manage grants, coordinate with partners,support countries, monitor and evaluate results, report on progress, manage donor relations and raise funds.
At the core of the new architecture is a country funding model designed to be an efficient and effective mechanism that can operate at scale and deliver impact and supported by a suite of policies that define how funding is to be invested. The SHF uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and the long term sustainability of its programs.
The SHF is looking for mission-oriented, collaborative, open minded and flexible candidates who are passionate about global development.
Role of the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Reporting to the Head of Monitoring and Evaluation, the purpose of this role is to support monitoring and evaluation of SHF programmes against the high-level results framework. The role specifically works to strengthen the quality, availability of and access to country and programmatic data including through the SHF M&E dashboard.
The monitoring and evaluation team supports SHF to foster a strong utilization focus and greater transparency as part of an evidence-based culture.
1. Monitoring and evaluation
3. Knowledge management and innovation
Impact of results The Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist will directly contribute to the design of M&E systems and the availability and dissemination of quality M&E results and performance data. The position will support the SHF to achieve its vision of addressing the sanitation, hygiene and menstrual health gap; raise, catalyse and invest resources to accelerate delivery of sustainable sanitation and hygiene services for people with the highest burden and lowest ability to respond.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Master's degree preferably in public health, environmental science, development, Social Science, gender or other related social science discipline is required.
- A bachelor's degree in the preferred discipline with a combination of two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the master's degree.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience with master's degree or seven (7) yeas with bachelor's degree of working with monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems and processes is required.
- Demonstrated experience with monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems design, M&E report writing and M&E data analysis including working with advanced functions of Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets is required.
- Demonstrated experience with M&E tool development and M&E dashboards is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with monitoring and reporting in the sanitation and hygiene sector desirable.
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa is desirable.
- Fluency in English including excellent writing skills is required.
- Intermediate French is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: International Individual Contractor Agreement Level 2
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA "Open ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance."
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
This position is based in Switzerland and the contract fee is not exempt from Swiss laws, including but not limited to laws regarding taxation, social security, accident and health insurance.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.