2305 Programme Specialist - Governance
As it embarks on a new programming cycle, UNDP Serbia launched a Country Programme for 2021-2025. The scope of the new Programme is focused on pursuing a human-centred development tackling development pathways, accountable institutions and empowered citizens, inclusive innovation for development and decent work opportunities and stronger resilience for the current and future generations. The new Programme is ambitious and includes priorities like green technology, e-governance, artificial intelligence, using multiple platforms and innovative funding mechanisms and engagement with International Financial Institutions (IFIs). UNDP Serbia will tackle these new areas by consistently applying a portfolio approach, allowing the new Programme to respond to various emerging development challenges, such as COVID19, depopulation, circular economy.
Under the overall supervision of the Resident Representative (RR) and the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), the Programme Specialist/Head of Governance acts as a manager of UNDP Governance Programme and is a member of the UNDP Serbia Management Team providing strategic guidance to the RR/DRR. The Programme Specialist will lead and supervise the Governance team in supporting the Government to advance its governance priorities, ensuring that UNDP is adequately positioned to contribute innovative policy options in support of the Government Programme. In addition, the Programme Specialist/Head of Governance will bring strategic thinking, thought leadership and innovation to UNDP's Governance Programme, ensuring the initiation of collaborative partnerships and research in response to emerging governance priorities in Serbia.
The incumbent leads the governance programme team in strategic planning and identifies new programme areas and policy initiatives consistent with United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) and the Country Programme Document (CPD). In addition, the incumbent will work across thematic clusters within UNDP and across the UN agencies and strengthen strategic partnerships with the Government, relevant bilateral and multilateral donors, IFIs, civil society and private sector in Serbia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensuring the strategic direction of the UNDP Governance Programme.
- Management of the CO Governance Programme and supervision of Programme Team.
- Creation of strategic partnerships and mobilization of resources.
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
1. As a member of the CO management team, ensures the strategic direction of Programme strategies in the theme of Governance focusing on achievement of the following results:
- A thorough analysis of the country's political, governance, peace and security situation and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNSDCF, CPD, AWP and other documents and lead collaborative research and identification of innovative approaches.
- Identification of strategic programme areas of cooperation for UNDP, in consultation with development and government partners, civil society and private sector, applying a system thinking and whole of society approach Operationalization of UNSDCF/ CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies.
- The Programme Specialist will identify possibilities for joint programming with the UN agencies including, regional and global trust funds.
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO.
- Collaborates across thematic areas including the Environment and Resilience cluster, SGD Integration Centre, UNDP Serbia Accelerator Lab as well as the Communication team to conceptualize, deliver and communicate UNDP results and achievement strategically to partners.
2. Ensures effective management of the CO Governance Programme and supervision of the Programme team within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation, achieving the following results:
- Effective application of Results-Based Management (RBM) tools, establishment of management targets (Balanced Scorecard - BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO Programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP's priorities into local interventions. Coordination of Programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring the Programme, tracking the use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Programme Specialist can perform functions of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions.
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO Programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the Programme environment, timely readjustment of Programme.
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes, ensuring high quality reporting to donors.
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations team.
3. Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and lead the resource mobilization strategy in cooperation with other clusters and staff focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies in the designated thematic areas to achieve Programme outcomes.
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI's (International Financial Institutions), government institutions, bi-lateral and multilateral donors, private sector, civil society etc. Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors' priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Support the CO Innovative Financing work by aligning potential work in the Governance cluster with the project pipeline and identify external opportunities and partners to mobilize resources.
4. Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to Programme country policy goals.
- Coordination development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Establishment of advocacy networks at the national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on Programme issues.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done.
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
- Ability to engage with other parties and forge productive working relationships.
- Ability to interact with different levels of management and across different agencies and offices to obtain information, develop legal approaches and resolve issues, this skill includes liaison with counterparts and determining the best sequence in which to pursue an issue, where information, particularly for UNDP, may be across different independent UN agencies.
Required Skills and Experience
Master's Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluent written and spoken English and Serbian are required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.