Refugee Youth Education Department Youth Tutor
New York City (United States of America)
Position Title: Youth Tutor
Location: All programming will be remote online for fall of 2021. The IRC NYC Resettlement Office location is 263 W. 38th St., Floor 6 NY, NY 10018
Reports to: IRC NYC Youth Education Coordinator
- Training: Attend online kickoff meeting on 10/2/21. Complete and submit all modules via Google Classroom
- First Day of Tutoring with Students: 10/6/2021
- Last Day of Tutoring with Students in Fall Term: 12/17/21
•Wednesday – Friday: 3-5PM EST
•Saturdays: 10AM-12PM EST
Since its inception in 1999, the IRC NYC Youth Education Department has provided refugee and other immigrant youth with year-round academic support, homework help, literacy training, English language learning, and enrichment activities. The IRC NYC Youth Education Department programs provide immigrant youth with linguistically supportive, culturally responsive, trauma-informed learning opportunities.
Scope of Work:
IRC volunteer Youth Tutors provide tutoring, mainly consisting of homework help, essay writing/editing, and English language development support for refugee and immigrant youth, K-12. Each tutor works with 1-3 students each day of tutoring and is responsible for submitting a case note regarding each of their tutees’ progress for each session of tutoring within 24 hours of the date of service. Each tutor may work with a student whom they have worked with in the past or a new student, as assigned. Tutors support each student with the homework/assignment they require, spanning across academic subjects/disciplines, home-language, and English language development level.
All IRC Youth Tutors will complete and submit online Professional Development modules throughout the term via Google Classroom, as assigned.
Essential Position Functions:
- Uphold full commitment to weekly schedule of tutoring sessions without absence or tardiness.
- Facilitate homework/schoolwork help with refugee and immigrant youth tutees online.
- Support tutee English language learning from diverse home language backgrounds and English language development levels, as assigned.
- Complete and submit all trainings and professional development by deadline, as assigned.
- Uphold and promote policies and practices necessary to create a linguistically supportive, culturally responsive, trauma-informed learning environment.
- Uphold all IRC and program and child safeguarding policies and directives.
- Work and communicate with IRC staff and volunteers as needed.
- Write and submit case notes for each tutee worked with, for each session of tutoring, by 24-hour deadline. Follow all program guidance for how to write complete case notes.
- Complete assigned surveys and data tracking tasks, as assigned.
- Complete and submit a weekly timesheet on Salesforce platform to track and codify IRC volunteer hours.
- Additional related duties as assigned.