Partnership & Coordination Analyst
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) is responsible for positioning UNDP as the world’s leading global development agency, promoting its global authority and thought leadership on sustainable development and the interconnected issues of poverty, inequality, and climate change. BERA leads and supports UNDP in building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances essential to achieving its mission. Creating strong political and financial backing for UNDP by providing partners and supporters with a clear understanding of what UNDP does and how our mission, capabilities and flagship services relate to them. The Bureau leads UNDP’s work on innovative and diversified partnerships and ways of financing the Decade of Action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. It is also responsible for global campaigns on critical development issues, which aim to inform government policies and build partnerships around high-impact solutions. BERA coordinates and sets corporate standards across the functions of partnerships, marketing and communications within UNDP and leads on internal communications.
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy is positioned around three service lines; Public Partnership; Advocacy, Marketing and Communications; and Private and Finance Partners, all working in close collaboration and coordination under the guidance of the Directorate and with the support of the Management Support Unit and Strategic Analysis and Engagement team.
BERA has a robust network of Representation Offices (Brussels, Copenhagen, Geneva, Tokyo, Washington D.C. and Germany) and Regional Teams in five hubs (Africa, Arab States, Asia Pacific, Europe and CIS, and Latin American and the Caribbean) co-led with Regional Bureaux, all of which play a critical role in audience centric communications and management and strengthening of relationships with Public and Private Partners to help build a strong brand for UNDP within the local ecosystem.
UNDP’s Nordic Representation Office (NRO) is located in Copenhagen with satellite offices in Norway, Finland and Sweden. It serves as a liaison and communication office, which works to share knowledge and raise awareness about UNDP’s mandate, work and results. NRO works both as a liaison office between UNDP’s headquarter in New York (/BERA) and the Nordic member states, and as a communication office, which focuses on reaching the public through the media, public events, presentations, field trips and cooperation with Nordic stakeholders, including civil society, private sector, and schools and research institutions. This position is based in Copenhagen, where the NRO Director , role embraces significant UN system facing functions, including running the Common Services for the UN City, a joint UN City Communications and Public Diplomacy Function, a visitor center and other joint initiatives under the UN City Centre of Excellence Vision. The NRO Director has also been tasked with coordinating and, if needed, implementing the Devolution Plan in case NY/HQ is incapacitated due to a natural or man-made disaster, or other unforeseen events.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support strategic partnerships, resource mobilization and strategy design and implementation
- Contributes towards generating, maintaining and updating cutting-edge and time-sensitive donor intelligence to guide targeted, timely and effective resource mobilization and partnership development.
- Contributes to new strategies and approaches on partnerships and resource mobilization efforts.
- Assists in ensuring streamlined flow of reports and requests for inputs to different strategic and corporate documents.
- Implements effective formalization and management of the partnership efforts and initiatives, including preparation of partnership agreements and maintenance of the agreement library.
- Supports the office in drafting and implementing procedures for managing partnership with a wide range of development partners.
Ensure proper coordination with donors, stakeholders, partners, and other UN entities
- Facilitates the coordination of existing partnership initiatives and supports future collaborations with key stakeholders (including, UN agencies, other UNDP units, Government counterparts, the private sector, implementing partners, CSOs, Academia, etc.), through coordination, logistical and administrative arrangements, project management support, and procurement.
- Supports the NRO Director in maintaining and strengthening close collaboration with UN agencies within the UN City to ensure coordinated approaches and solution exchanges in areas impacting system-wide coherence.
- Supports activities to further promote inter-agency cooperation within the UN City, such as missions, events, and other inter-agency activities, including the joint activities which the NRO Director is heading, for overall cooperation and troubleshooting.
- Facilitates the flow of communications internally within the team, the UN City in Copenhagen, HQ, other UN entities, and other partners on Pan-Nordic efforts.
Support to NRO Directorate on overall management and corporate compliance, ensuring quality assurance
- Assists in the efficient running of the NRO Directorate, including HR-related matters, operations, finance, procurement, and communications, while ensuring information is synthesized and summarized for the NRO Directorate to facilitate decision-making.
- Keeps track of corporate reporting requirements and any other deadlines, by developing and maintaining a tracking system, flagging these to the NRO Directorate and facilitating the required actions.
- Drafts timely and high-quality background papers, briefing notes, talking points, analyses, note to files, and speech inputs for the NRO Directorate on relevant issues, as requested.
- Identifies, synthesizes, and makes available best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to UNDP NRO.
- Supports, as necessary, other functions within the NRO Directorate.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relations.
- Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues).
UN System: UN Coordination and Coherence
- Knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply to practical situations.
Knowledge Management and sharing
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge.
- Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize actions around mitigating them.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Sciences or another related field.
- CIPS certificate is an advantage.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant professional work experience in development-related areas, multi-stakeholder partnerships and engagement, international or multilateral organizations, UN operational activities for development, inter-agency affairs or other relevant setting.
- Knowledge of the UN and international development is required.
- Knowledge or experience of corporate management functions within strategy, planning, reporting, accounting, procurement, communications, marketing or stakeholder relations is desirable.
- Familiarity with interpretation and application of UN/UNDP policies, rules and regulations is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with the UNDP-Nordic partnership is highly desirable.
- Experience in project administration, usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems is desirable.
- Experience in support of common premises management would be an asset.
- Partnership-building, project management and fundraising efforts is an asset.
- Knowledge or experience of the Global Goals for sustainable development is an asset.
- Fluency in English and at least one of the Nordic languages (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish); both oral and written, is required.
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.