3 Project proposals writers - Retainer consultants
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
I. Organizational context
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The six priority areas are:
- Women lead, participate in, and benefit equally from governance systems.
- Eliminate violence against women and girls.
- Strengthen the implementation of women's peace and security agenda.
- Increase women's economic empowerment.
- Make gender equality priorities central to national, local, and sectoral plans, budgets, and statistics.
- Implement global norms, policies and standards on gender equality and women's empowerment, laying thefoundation for action by governments and other stakeholders at all levels.
In the context of the pandemic, UN Women is implementing a Resource Mobilization Strategy that prioritizes COVID-19 gender responses in development, humanitarian and the nexus between development, peace and humanitarian action in Latin America and the Caribbean. This consultancy will lead the preparation and drafting of project proposals addressed to diverse funding opportunities, engaging a consultant with proved track with traditional cooperation and/or innovative funding for Gender Equality.
III. Consultancy objective
The objective of this consultancy is to produce project proposals in collaboration and consultation with key stakeholders within UN Women and partners for selected funding opportunities, in accordance with the policies and standards of UN Women or in the corresponding formats depending on the funding opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful performance of the incumbent will effectively contribute to the development of quality project documents. In particular, the consultant is expected to carry out the following functions and activities:
- Draft and design and project proposals following funding opportunities formats and deadlines.
- Guarantee the preparation of high-quality and coherent proposals documentation (including concept note, logical framework, project plan with objectives, activities, results, and impacts, etc.)
- Maintain effective communication with UN Women personnel and partners in the design process.
- Propose and identify resource mobilization opportunities related with UN Women COVID19 responses priorities in LAC and consultant’s knowledge of the funding landscape.
- Communicate regularly with the lead supervisor to inform proposals’ drafting advance and validate design decisions and proposals.
V. Payment method
The "Retainer" hiring modality implies that the consultant will be hired for a daily fee. Maximum cumulative value will be established, which will be maintained as the upper limit and should not be interpreted or understood as a financial commitment or guarantee of business volume on UN Women. It is not exclusive, which means that the parties are open to entering another contract/s with another person or entity.
The specifications for each product requested, the number of days and deadlines will be negotiated and agreed upon with UN Women and the consultant on a case-by-case basis. Before starting any work, the consultant must confirm his/her availability in writing to carry out the tasks assigned by each request and/or order.
The consultant will be responsible for all supplies required to carry out the work, such as equipment, assistant fees, food, and local transportation. The holder must calculate the value of all costs related to the work's performance and include them within the "day/job" price in his/her financial offer.
Financial commitments will be established each time services are requested under the framework contract, through the management of a purchase order agreed between the parties specifying the scope, products, and expected results and approved purchase order, as an indication of the start of the provision of services.
Payment will be disbursed upon satisfactory delivery of the products, previously approved by UN Women, and against delivery of a signed Certificate of Payment (COP).
The SSA contract determines the inclusion of all costs (all-inclusive); the Organization will not assume expenses or benefits in addition to the fee for services. Therefore, it is the consultant's responsibility to have health insurance for the period of the contract. It is recommended that they include medical coverage for illnesses related to COVID-19. Medical coverage must be international in cases where the contract requires international missions or assignments. If selected for this position, proof of medical coverage will be required within the first two months of the contract.
VI. Performance monitoring and evaluation
The consultancy will be managed by UN Women Regional Office. The Partnerships and Resource Mobilization Specialist will supervise the contract. Contractor’s performance will be evaluated based on timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, accuracy, and quality of the products delivered.
The Consultant is not a United Nations official and will carry out the activities related to their consultancy virtually, from their workspace following what is agreed in the work plan.
Three months after the start of the consultancy, an evaluation of the performance of the selected person and the products produced will be carried out, and if it is not favorable, the contract will be terminated by mutual agreement within the following 30 days.
For the proper development of the consultancy, the supervisor will provide the consultant with existing documents and the information that UN Women has at its disposal related to the topics of the consultancy. It is the consultant's responsibility to obtain primary and secondary information from other sources, if necessary.
The consultant will maintain permanent coordination with the supervisor for effective execution and development of the products requested from this consultancy. As well as it will provide information as requested within the framework of the terms of reference.
In the current context of the crisis due to COVID-19, travel is not foreseen for this consultancy, but remote and virtual work. This may change after the current crisis.
VII. Performance Indicators
- Products / deliverables presented in a timely manner according to the TORs
- Work quality
- Compliance with expected results
- Compliance with the aforementioned competencies (Ref. Profile of the consultant)
VIII. Intellectual Rights, Patents and Other Property Rights
The right to equipment and supplies that may be provided by UN Women to the consultant for the performance of any obligation under this contract shall remain with UN Women and such equipment shall be returned to UN Women upon the termination of this contract. or when it is no longer necessary for the consultant. Said equipment, when returned to UN Women, must be in the same condition as when it was delivered to the consultant, subject to normal deterioration. The consultant will be responsible for compensating UN Women for damaged or damaged equipment regardless of normal deterioration of the equipment.
UN Women will have the right to all intellectual property and other property rights including but not limited to: patents, copyrights, and trademarks, products, processes, inventions, ideas, technical knowledge, documents, and other materials that the consultant has prepared or collected as a result or during the execution of this consultancy, and the consultant acknowledges and agrees that such products, documents, and other materials constitute work carried out according to the engagement of UN Women. However, if the intellectual property or other property rights consist of any intellectual property or property rights of the consultant: i) that existed prior to the consultant's performance of his / her obligations under this contract, or ii) that the consultant could develop or acquire, or could have developed or acquired, regardless of the performance of its obligations under this contract, UN Women will not claim or should claim any ownership interest over the same, and the consultant will grant UN Women a perpetual license to use such intellectual property or other proprietary rights solely for the purpose and requirements of this contract.
- Cultural sensitivity and diversity of values.
- Awareness and sensitivity regarding gender studies.
- Project proposal design and writing.
- Creative problem solving.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Knowledge products development.
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and RBM competencies.
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions, and present findings and recommendations.
Required Skills and Experience
X. Selection procedure and requirements for application:
UN Women seeks to hire three (3) experts as retainers one for each of the following areas for proposal writing: Development, Humanitarian Response, and Peacebuilding and conflict prevention, see the evaluation criteria for more information.
The selection process will be carried out through a Desk Review, in which a formal verification is first carried out that the applications comply with the documentary evidence to be examined and the minimum requirements established for the consultancy. Then, the technical evaluation of the received applications is carried out, which will be qualified based on the technical requirements established in the following qualification table:
| || |
| || |
Profile 1: Development programmes
At least 7 years of progressive work experience in the field of development developing and implementing development projects or programs with different funders.
Profile 2: Humanitarian Response programmes
At least 7 years of progressive work experience in emergencies contexts, writing, implementing, and monitoring humanitarian gender responsive projects o programmes
Profile 3: Peacebuilding and conflict prevention Programmes
At least 7 years of progressive work experience writing, implementing, and monitoring peacebuilding and conflict prevention gender responsive projects and programmes in conflict or post-conflict contexts.
| || |
| || |
The shortlisted candidates may be invited to an interview based on competencies on the level of knowledge of the subject area and the specific topic of this consultancy. The relative weight of the interview, if it is defined to carry it out after the desk review, will be 50% of the total score (that is, 50% for the table of compliance with the requirements and 50% for the interview).
Documents to be presented for the application
- UN Women Personal History Form (P11), you can find it in the following link: http://www.unwomen.org/es/about-us/employment
- Personal ID or passport
- 2 samples of projects drafted in English by the applicant, with proved track of approval and funding (refer to institutional link of the project or references of implementing institution, funders and budget approved). These samples would be assessed in criteria 4 and are mandatory to validate the applicant’s submission.
- At the time of application, one (1) single file in PDF format must be uploaded. A guide is attached for you to do this step. https://www.wikihow.com/Merge-PDF-Files.
- UN Women assumes no responsibility and only describes one of the many ways of compressing application-related documents. You can use the one you consider prudent.
- Applications received incomplete or outside the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that rank on the short list (at least the three with the highest score) will be contacted for an interview (if applicable).
- Consultants who have a working relationship with public institutions may only be hired if they present proof of a work permit (license) without expiration and a letter of no objection to carrying out the consultancy, issued by the employing institution. If the connection of the candidates is with a research institution, academic center, or university, it is sufficient to present a letter of no objection issued by the employing institution.
- The selected consultants must have medical coverage and present proof of their coverage within two months of signing their contract.
- If the consultancy requires travel, medical coverage, required vaccinations according to the destination and travel insurance must be confirmed.
- In the case of international consultancy, the currency will be US dollars or the local currency.
UN Women is committed to achieving workplace diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. People from minority groups, indigenous groups and people with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.