The Department of Nuclear Sciences and Applications implements the IAEA's Major Programme 2, "Nuclear Techniques for Development and Environmental Protection". This Major Programme comprises individual programmes on food and agriculture, human health, water resources, environment and radiation technologies. These programmes are supported by laboratories in Seibersdorf, Monaco and Vienna. The Major Programme's objective is to enhance the capacity of Member States to meet basic human needs and to assess and manage the marine and terrestrial environments through the use of nuclear and isotopic techniques in sustainable development programmes.
The Division of Physical and Chemical Sciences is responsible for assisting and advising Member States in research and development for the nuclear sciences, especially the physical and chemical sciences. Specifically, the Division provides support to Member States in the following fields\: production of radioisotopes and radiolabelled products for applications in health care and industry; radiation source applications; research reactor utilization; applications of accelerators and nuclear instrumentation; nuclear and atomic data for applications; controlled nuclear fusion and isotope hydrology and geochemistry.
Additionally, the nuclear science activities carried out by the Nuclear Data Section and Physics Section in the Division of Physical and Chemical Sciences of the Department of Nuclear Sciences and Applications fall under Major Programme 1.
The Nuclear Data Section (NDS) is primarily responsible for the generation and maintenance of a number of high-quality and fundamental nuclear and atomic databases and providing services to users worldwide. The main means of dissemination is via the NDS website, which provides interactive tools to present the required data.
Development and Deployment of the International Database of Reference Gamma-Ray Spectra of Various Nuclear Materials (IDB) as part of the NDS ecosystem of nuclear databases, on the NDS data portal.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Develop the technical specification for IDB application, including the design, functionality, user interface, and intended software technology stack.
- Develop the back-end and the front-end of the IDB application, following the twelve factor app principles. Implement automatic testing for the application.
- Create the user and the technical documentation for the application, including description of design, maintenance procedures, end-user operational guidelines and documentation of the source code.
- Provision and Deploy the IDB application on the cloud, as part of the IAEA Nuclear Data Services web-portal. Ensure that the external collaborators can test the deployed software.5. After finalizing the user and the security testing, make the IDB application accessible to end-users.
- Develop procedures to support long-term operation and maintenance of the database.
Qualifications and Experience
- Universirty degree in the field of computer science or related field.
- Advanced degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with the full-stack development of large software projects for the web, involving design and development of user interfaces, web application back-ends, front-ends and database management.
- Experience in web application deployment, operation and configuration management.
- Good oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
The remuneration for this consultancy is a daily fee of up to a maximum of € 287, based on qualifications and experience. In case duty travel is required within the assignment, a daily subsistence allowance (DSA) and travel costs are provided. Health coverage and pension fund are the responsibility of the incumbent.