Associate Civil Affairs Officer
Goma (Congo Democratic)
Under the authority of the Chief Civil Affairs Section, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Support the management and development of the Community Alert Network (CAN) and contribute to the SAGE data base and Support and coordinate related field activities;
- Generate analytical weekly and monthly reports on Protection of Civilians (POC) incidents and related protection responses, and advise the Civil Affairs management on early warning related issues
- In coordination with MONUSCO Communication Information and Technology System (CITS), monitor Civil Affairs SAGE interface and formulate recommendations to the System developers and designers to improve and optimize the data base including the mission Geographic Information System (GIS) in order to generate specific maps to support the production of accurate visualized context.
- Ensure that CAN stations are operational in close liaison with the Civil Affairs Field offices; identify hot spots and support the CAN extension plan.
- Contribute to capacity building for CAN focal points on CAN reporting using SAGE data base interface in partnership with the Office of the DSRSG for SAGE
- Contribute to overall mission monitoring and planning as required in line with Protection of civilian’s tools & activities;
- Actively participate in SAGE task force, steering committee
- Perform other duties as required, in line with DPKO/DFS policy directive on Civil Affairs;
- When working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts set aside dedicated time for capacity development through coaching, mentoring and formal and on-the-job trainingand translations.
- Ensure the good functionality of the protection tools at field offices
- Ensure the good functionality and monitor of the EWS at field offices Conflict related tasks.
- Facilitate structured dialogue sessions between conflicting parties/communities to decrease intra/inter community tension and violence.
- Support pre-dialogue consultations sessions with conflicting parties and relevant stakeholders
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of dialogues outcomes (peace agreements, parties’ commitments.
- Support the vulgarization of dialogues processes and issues raised in dialogue sessions
- Facilitatecapacity building workshops on early warning and to enable the gradual hand-over of PoC mechanisms to communities and authorities
- Facilitate consultations between communities’ leaders and key actors to deeper the understanding of emerging conflicts and to reduce tension and reinforce social cohesion:
- Support the organization of awareness-raising campaigns targeted leaders of local conflict resolution structures, chiefs and civil society leaders in the topics of peaceful coexistence.
- Conduct quarterly conflict scans including actors mapping in selected areas to capture key conflicts dynamics.
- Support the organization of capacity building sessions of community leaders and local conflict resolution mechanisms in conflict resolution and/or implementation of peace agreements.
- Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country.
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in on-going reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
International law, Political or Social Sciences, Sociology or any related field. A combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of the advanced degree; Formal training in basic statistical analysis.Required experience 24 Months Experience remark
2 years related professional experience in related fieldLanguage skills
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Driving license for vehicle is required;
- Fluency in oral and written French and English required.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft suite. Database Technology or Information Systems is an asset