Payroll Assistant, Multiple positions
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - BSSC
The UNOPS Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC) is a Shared Services Centre (SSC) unit established for the purpose of providing internal, global, cost-effective transactional services which enhance the operational capacity of UNOPS and standardize systems and procedures. The BSSC, among other functions, carries out high-quality transactional services within the area of personnel contract administration and payroll.
For young professionals, a job within UNOPS BSSC offers the opportunity to enter the United Nations system via crucial back office service delivery in an engaging and development-focused work environment as part of a dynamic and effective UN entity. BSSC jobs offer a platform of learning and exposure to UNOPS' operations and the greater UN system.
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the direct supervision of the Payroll Manager and Payroll Accountant, the Payroll Assistant ensures effective delivery of global payroll accounting, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Payroll Assistant provides technical expertise for the processing of payroll for UN Staff Members in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. The Payroll Assistant promotes a client oriented approach in providing payroll services to UNOPS and its partners.The Payroll Assistant works in close collaboration with other offices to resolve complex accounting and payroll issues and ensure consistent service delivery. He/she works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project teams in the field offices and UNOPS HQ staff ensuring successful performance in payroll financial management.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support in administrative and payroll related tasks
- Support in producing payroll reports and queries
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Support in administrative and payroll related tasks, including following responsibilities:
- Perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to Payroll
- Ensure that documents and supporting files are accurate, complete and properly filed for audit purposes
- Support to the day to day payroll transactions
- Create receipts and initiate payments in UNOPS ERP System
- Process payments relating to salaries in UNOPS ERP System
- Check that payment to Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) holder is in compliance with vendor profile and the terms and conditions of the ICA agreement
- Prepare all relevant supporting documentation for the Team Lead to review payment vouchers
- Interact with colleagues to exchange information on administrative issues and seek co-operation
- Maintain accurate records (hardcopy and online) of all project document for easy reference and retrieval
2. Support in producing various payroll reports and queries focusing on the following results:
- Accurate payroll data resulting in reduction of recoveries, advances and other exceptional payments
- Timely and accurate determination and processing of payments
- Audit checks and balances for due diligence and financial accountability within the Financial Rules and Regulations of UNOPS
- Maximize the use of technology to keep the client informed of their payroll elements and changes thereto
3. Support in facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects personnel on Payroll
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Experience: 3 years of experience in supporting a payroll, accounting and/or HR administration.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (such as MS Office, G-Suite) and experience in handling web-based management systems is desirable.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of the second UN working language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: LICA-3
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.