Programme Management Advisor (Rural Finance) - Retainer consultant position, Multiple positions
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - Myanmar
Myanmar is one of UNOPS’ leading offices in Asia, acting as fund manager for three of the largest development programmes in the country, namely the Access to Health, the Livelihood and Food Security Fund (LIFT) and the Joint Peace Fund (JPF). In addition, UNOPS is Principal Recipient for the Global Fund in Myanmar and for the Global Fund’s regional artemisinin-resistance initiative targeting drug resistant malaria in the greater Mekong sub-region. UNOPS also provides procurement, infrastructure and project management services to a wide range of organizations in the country, including the Government of Myanmar, international development partners, other UN agencies, NGOs and INGOs. UNOPS plays a critical role in ensuring that the quality of services provided to its partners meets stringent requirements of speed, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Livelihoods and Food Security Fund (LIFT) is a multi-donor fund established in Myanmar in 2009. LIFT’s work contributes to three outcomes: 1) Improved nutritional status, particularly for women and children; 2) Increased household income and assets with greater control by women; and, 3) Reduced vulnerability of households and individuals to shocks, stresses and risks. To date, over 11.6 million people in 75 per cent of Myanmar’s townships have benefitted from LIFT’s programmes. LIFT has committed to localization and promoting local leadership, with a set of goals as priorities for 2021 and onwards. For LIFT’s 2019-2023 strategy and other details visit www.lift-fund.org.
LIFT is managed by the United Nations Office for Projects Services (UNOPS) and has received funding from 16 international donors. The current donors are the United Kingdom, the European Union, Switzerland, Australia, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland and Norway.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The thrust of LIFT’s work is to expand access to inclusive financial services that can serve as a catalyst for inclusive economic development. The key components of LIFT’s Financial Inclusion and Private Sector Partnerships Programme are:
Microfinance: Supporting MFIs to increase supply of a broad range of demand-driven financial services tailored to diverse market segments and increase MFI presence in remote and conflict-affected areas to support poverty and vulnerability reduction.
Microfinance capital market development: Supporting the hedging of foreign currency exchange risk to attract international investors to Myanmar’s microfinance market and contribute to growth in access to inclusive financial services across the country.
Digital financial services: Building digital financial channels, primarily targeting women.
Agribusiness finance: Incentivizing provision of financial services tailored to the agriculture sector.
Women’s inclusion and empowerment is a priority in LIFT’s Strategy 2019-2023.
LIFT is seeking a Programme Management Advisor ( a retainer consultant position) to support its work on the Rural Finance Programme. This support will be managed within the overall guidance of the Fund Board and Fund Director, and the Programme Management Support Advisor will be, working closely with LIFT’s Rural Finance programme personnel and LIFT’s implementing partners.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Manager (Agriculture And Rural Finance) the Programme Management Advisor shall work on the following tasks:
Lead, participate in or provide technical and operational backstopping to LIFT Rural Finance teams involved in the formulation and implementation of projects.
Conduct midterm review or end of project evaluation of projects involving interactions with financial services clients, smallholder farmers, MFIs/NGOs supporting them, Associations, value chain actors, private sector actors, civil society organizations and government representatives.
Provide technical support to project or Rural Finance team topics related to the development of MFIs (Digitalisation, Capital infusion, Commercial Loans, MMFA, inter-professional associations, working groups, agencies, etc).
Provide technical support in adaptation, scale up of digital application to improve efficiency in the rural financial inclusion, Loan disbursement, loan installment collection, access to information, capacity building of different stakeholders to use digital platforms etc)
Lead or participate in identification / selection , formulation of projects/ strategies based LIFT focus areas include expansion of financial inclusion, digitalization of financial landscape, value chain finance, informal finance services, Risk management, Code of conduct, Client protection etc.
Provide technical support in overall planning and monitoring of activities, learning and knowledge management.
Provide technical expertise in gender main streaming ( gender programing, design, gender equity, gender training ) in rural finance projects.
Methodology and Deliverables
The contract will be issued on retainer basis and the Programme Management Advisor will receive a task note each time a need for services is identified. The Task note will specify the dates, duration and deliverables.
- A Master's degree in Rural Finance or a subject relevant to the ToR is required.
- Additional two years of professional experience with a Bachelor’s Degree is considered equivalent.
- A minimum of 7 years of professional experience in project implementation, programme strategy developing, programme formulation and project evaluation is required.
- Experience living and working in less developed countries is an advantage.
- Experience in subject areas of Financial Inclusion,Digital Finance,Agriculture value chain financing,Client protection principles,Social performance Management, Financial literacy,Conflict and post-conflict, Climate finance and Gender is preferred.
- Good knowledge of working with stakeholders such as private sectors including MFIs, banks, investors DFS, local authorities, national government, civil society and the interaction among stakeholders with dialogue, advocacy, governance would be an asset.
- In-depth understanding of the Myanmar context is an advantage.
- Experience of working in Myanmar and/or South East Asia is an advantage.
- Knowledge of robust M&E systems according to latest techniques, measures and standards is preferred.
- Experience in design and execution of field surveys in rural socio-economics studies with both quantitative and qualitative methods is an asset.
- Experience in data management, processing, statistics and analysis is desirable.
- Experience in designing, drafting, editing, presenting and disseminating knowledge products is preferred.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects is an asset.
- Excellent skills in both written and spoken English are essential. Knowledge of Myanmar language is an advantage.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA (Individual Contractor Agreement) Contract level: IICA 3/LICA11 (ICS11)
Contract duration: Retainer not exceeding 100 working days within a year
This vacancy is open to all nationalities. This is a home-based contract with possible mission travel to Myanmar. The successful candidate shall be offered a local ICA contract under the local ICA (LICA) of the place of residence. If there is no local scale in the country, the International ICA (IICA) contract will be applied.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.