Environmental Health Assistant - Hygiene Promotion
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Scope of Work:
The EH Assistant-Hygiene Promotion will report to the EH Officer – Hygiene Promotion and will be primarily responsible for supervising implementation of hygiene promotion activities at village level as directed by the EH Officer-Hygiene Promotion.
The main objective of this position is to support the EH Officer-Hygiene promotion in implementing hygiene promotion activities in the communities. This includes training of Community Hygiene promoters and hygiene awareness in the communities.
- Directly implement hygiene promotion activities in the communities; this includes household visits, hygiene awareness sessions and distribution of hygiene promotion materials.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer-Water and Sanitation and Hygiene Promoters over water quality and beneficiary needs and preferences regarding water collection points
- If requested, participate in any inter sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning;
- Directly manage the day to day hygiene promotion activities in the field
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities meet stated objectives within the timeframe;
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming;
- Distribute Information, Communication and Education (IEC) materials to Community hygiene Promoters
- Provide technical support and training for hygiene promoters and community volunteers.
- Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records
- Provide weekly reports of progress on hygiene promotion activities
- Seek guidance and approval from EH Officer –on any changes to approved hygiene promotion approaches and tools
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials
- Number of Household visits conducted and beneficiaries reached
- Number of posters distributed
- Number of hygiene awareness campaigns conducted and beneficiaries reached
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion, and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Closely work with the Health Unit to ensure that the mobile clinics and health facilities have regular access to safe excreta disposal.
- Work closely with the supply chain and finance team for procurement/replenishment of supplies
- Liaise with Finance Unit in budget preparation and utilization.