The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Syria crisis is often described as the worst humanitarian catastrophe since the end of the Cold War. Inside Syria, 7.6 million people are internally displaced and 12.2 million are in need of humanitarian assistance, with 4.8 million in hard-to-reach areas. There are 3.8 million Syrian refugees in neighboring countries. This is no short-term humanitarian episode. The devastating human consequences to huge numbers of people will endure for decades. The destruction of relationships, communities, livelihoods, homes and infrastructure will take years to repair.
IRC is offering a robust humanitarian response to the Syria crisis with an annual budget in excess of $140 million and a rapidly expanding portfolio, supported by more than 1,250 staff in the region. IRC is undertaking programs in Syria and the neighboring countries of Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon and Jordan in the fields of health, child protection, education, women’s protection and empowerment, NFI and food distribution, cash assistance, water and sanitation, and livelihood programming. Our work in these challenging settings gives rise to some of the most pressing issues facing contemporary humanitarian action, including questions of access, security, funding and coordination.
Job Overview/Summary: Reporting to Senior Procurement Manager based in Amman, The Procurement Officer is responsible for the efficient coordination and management of procurement functions for IRC’s office. The position holder will procure Program supplies, services and equipment, whilst ensuring good practices and maintaining audit-compliant records. You will ensure that all purchases of goods and services are done transparently, at the best available price, and in compliance with IRC and donor procurement policy and procedures.
1. Procurement Planning
Working closely with Procurement Manager, and other internal and external partners, you will effectively plan and support program implementation by:
- Collecting, organizing and analyzing data market information and data to enable effective procurement planning
- Preparing and implementing procurement plans following related IRC procurement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Monitor supply market and conduct market surveys & analysis to ensure value for money in procurement.
Responsible for implementing procurement plan and strategy and ensuring all procurement needs are met on time in line with GSC and donors’ standards, the role holder will:
- Support the development of procurement specifications
- Procure all necessary items for programs, offices and residences.
- Process approved Purchase requisitions through the procurement software ensuring data accuracy.
- Initiate and process Request for quotations (RFQ) and Request for proposals (RFP).
- Train and certify procurement committee members and participate in tender meetings and evaluations.
- Prepare bids analysis and other bidding documents for approval.
- Conduct negotiations with suppliers that is transparent and documented.
- Review procurement documents for accuracy before taking payment for approval.
- Collaborating with all departments by Coordination with finance, grants and program to ensure smooth and timely procurement
- Coordinate with Finance Department to make sure the payments are delivered to the suppliers.
- Update PRs on BVA system on regular base in coordination with other procurement officers, Senior procurement officer, senior procurement Manger and Supply chain coordinator.
- Ensuring and checking that procurement is carried out in accordance to IRC and donor-specific polices while preparing payment request.
- Attend the procurement committee meetings required.
3. Contract Management
You will lead the contracting process so that the terms and conditions, and contracting procedures as provided by Global Supply Chain are followed.
To achieve this, you will:
- Prepare and executing contracts for recommended bidders
- Timely renew qualifying contracts and Master Agreements.
- Execute contracts against set performance indicators
- Generate all required procurement documentation and maintain records and files in an impeccable manner.
- Update and maintain a proper filing system as per IRC Supply Chain filing protocol.
4. Supplier Management
The role will lead supplier relationships and performance to ensure that Suppliers adhere to Service Level Agreements (SLAs), and that there is precise record keeping. This includes:-
- Maintaining suppliers files and documentation
- Monitoring and documenting supplier performance
- Maintain supplier performance score cards.
- Establishment and maintenance of ethical, professional working relationships with suppliers.
5. Compliance and Ethics
You will assist in identifying and analyzing compliance risk in procurement processes and in implementing donor rules & regulations for all procurements by:
- Implementing due diligence for suppliers, this includes conducting reference checks, supplier visits etc.
- Providing consistent and constructive support to other departments to ensure compliance with policies and procedures
- Identifying and reporting procurement red flags across the procurement value chain
- Implementing corrective action plans (CAPs) in response to internal and/or external audit queries
You will support timely and accurate reporting by:
- Preparing and submitting accurate monthly reports to the Procurement Manager on time.
- Supporting with developing and updating the procurement plans (assigned) as required.
- Submitting monthly list of commitments to Procurement Manager/Supply Chain Coordinator and Finance
- Submit periodic procurement tracking report for specific Grants that you are assigned to.
7. Team Leadership and Development
- Setting procurement team members' objectives
- Documenting training needs
- Ensuring that all procurement staff and counterparts are trained to standard
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:Senior Procurement Manager in Amman, Jordan
Indirect Reporting: None.
Position directly supervises: None.
Position indirectly supervises: None.
Other Internal and/or external contacts: Regular relationships with program staff, Operations staff and country Supply Chain staff at all levels.
Internal:All program sectors coordinators and managers, Field Manager and Deputy Field Manager in Northern Syria;
External:Vendors and Services providers.