The Aid for Trade in Central Asia (Phase IV) is a regional project that supports countries in the region to benefit from increasing resources available from Aid for Trade (AfT) and to harvest the benefits of trade for human development. The project in the Republic of Uzbekistan is implemented by the UNDP country office in Uzbekistan in close coordination with UNDP Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS. The national implementing partner for the project is the Ministry of Investments and Foreign Trade of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The overall goal of the project is to improve income and job opportunities through strengthening government capacity at national and local levels to ease international and regional trade, enhancing trade support institutions and promoting sustainable agricultural agro-processing practices.
The project will support the national partner and other relevant state agencies to focus on sustainable development centric policies that support the private sector in terms of generating decent jobs. Trade is an essential source of economic growth, has important impact on job creation, peoples' income and poverty reduction.
The project will address the development challenge within the following two sub-components:
1. Supporting an enabling environment for job-rich growth through:
- enabling policies and regulations for inclusive and trade oriented private sector development (macro level);
- trade support institutions that provide efficient services to the private sector (meso level).
2. Supporting market opportunities for all through more efficient and competitive producers and processors:
- more efficient and competitive producers and processors contributing to sustainable human development (micro level).
Better integration into international trade and increasing exports will provide new opportunities for enterprises to expand their production and to create more and better paid jobs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project manager, the Task Manager will be responsible for the implementation of Component 2 (more efficient and competitive producers and processors contributing to sustainable human development) in Andijan, Fergana and Namangan regions. He/She is expected to:
- Participate in elaboration and supervising execution of the Project’s Annual Plan of Activities for Component 2, work plan, analyze emerging problems and propose adequate measures to ensure timely fulfillment of envisioned tasks;
- Familiarize himself/herself with the overall development and business context in the region, including regional development priorities, local business environment, existing cooperation in the field of private sector development between government institutions, international agencies and business community as well as with the findings of the scoping mission.
- Map, identify and prioritize potential areas for project interventions, companies and other potential partners, engage in direct discussions and negotiations with them.
- Engage and sensitize all major stakeholders about Aid for Trade activities while establishing and maintaining close relationships with relevant companies, business associations, and international organizations.
- Assume full responsibility for and manage effectively and efficiently all activities under Component 2 envisaged by the Annual Work Plan and resources (human, financial, physical / material assets, etc) in order to meet expected results;
- Prepare the Component 2 of Annual Work Plan in alignment with the project document and Board decisions, ensure close monitoring of activities and disbursements;
- Prepare Terms of Reference for national and international consultants and service providers;
- Undertake proper observance of all personnel/contracting actions: preparation and negotiation of contracts, timely initiation of payments and performance appraisal;
- Provide inputs to substantive and financial progress reports as required by the component. Prepare periodic procurement/contracting and financial delivery reports. Provide inputs to budget revisions as needed;
- Maintain close coordination with relevant project partners based in Fergana Valley regions for trade promotion, ensure synergies, avoid overlaps in project implementation, collaborate with other donors working in the same area, and provide information relevant to the project;
- Follow up and conduct supplementary research and other actions required to implement potential projects;
- Explore synergies between the Aid for Trade initiative and other relevant initiatives in Fergana Valley regions, including work by the Government, private sector initiatives of multi-lateral and bilateral donors;
- Facilitate information sharing among all partners on trade and project related activities in the country, sharing best practices and lessons learned on projects implemented;
- Organize case writing on successful projects implemented, provide substantive inputs to the cases and ensure wide dissemination;
- Report to the Project Manager on a regular basis on progress vis-à-vis project strategy and annual work-plan and regularly liaise with the UNDP Country Office in Tashkent;
- Prepare and disseminate various communication initiatives, materials and publications.
- A solid understanding of business solutions to poverty and development, economic development situation and business environment in Andijan, Fergana and Namangan regions of Uzbekistan;
- Ability to broker and convene productive coalitions between business, government and development partners;
- Strong organizational and communication skills, ability to work in a team;
- Ability to express ideas clearly, initiative, analytical thinking, ethics and honesty, ability to work under pressure and against tight deadlines.
I. Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment, self-development, initiative-taking;
- Creates synergies through self-control.
II. Functional Competencies:
1. Communication and Networking
- Has excellent oral communication skills and written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings;
- Demonstrates maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
2. Knowledge Management and Learning
- Demonstrates Leadership and Self-Management;
- Focuses on results and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and in a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
3. Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Organizes and completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Handles when necessary a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
4. Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Content specific skills: experience in trade policy and development, private sector development;
- Excellent knowledge of the country and regional context;
- Research skills: ability to search and analyze the relevant information.
- Project management skills: the ability to manage project/tasks for results, including the ability to translate strategic aims into achievable targets; monitor progress of delivery; and prepare reports in a timely manner
Required Skills and Experience
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.