Risk & Compliance Manager
WHO ARE WE?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home. The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Risk and Compliance Manager based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
ABOUT THE JOB
To lead on Risk Management with a key focus on Legal and CoC Compliance. Being member of the E-SMT, the R&C Manager leads on strategic measures to nurture a culture of compliance and risk management across country operations.
External Representation (Legal Compliance)
- Take the lead on establishing high level relationships with ministries at capital and if required field level.
- Remain focal point for Departments and relevant state authorities on central level.
- Ensure DRC operations are in compliance with the local legislations, advise SMT on any changes in NGO law or risks associated with the operations in due course
- Ensure timely registration of the DRC projects with GoA, as required by the current legislation
- Coordinate and lead the process of the timely submission of the mandatory reports to the GoA
- Provide support to teams on field level in regards to implementation of local compliance requirements.
- Regular risk assessment and its systematic follow-up guided by DRC’s Risk Management process.
- Develop action plans based on the Risk Mitigation plans agreed by SMT and follow-up on implementation.
- Organize regular trainings/refreshers on Risk management framework for DRC and Partners to ensure staff awareness.
- Take lead on new staff induction in regards to Risk and Compliance processes.
- Conduct internal audits of risk mitigation measures.
- Coordinating Risk Register process with County SMT, Regional / HQ focal points.
- In consultation with SMT, develop compliance framework and processes for all business areas.
- Ensure systematic vetting process of program and operations from legal Compliance perspective.
- Develop tools and provide training to specific staff with role in day to day compliance
- Conduct Compliance reviews/audits on periodic basis in all field offices.
- Assist management to conduct specific non-compliance investigations at CO level.
- Take lead on Compliance section of Result Contract and provide quarterly report/update.
- Establish external resources i.e. Legal consultants in regards to compliance initiatives.
- Prepare briefings for SMT on risks in light of legal opinions to take informed decisions.
Code of Conduct & Accountability
- Be focal point for COCRM at country level to HQ and RO.
- Ensure CO has smooth functioning COCRM committees and to provide training to all members on their roles.
- Establish regular/correct functioning of operational feedback committee or beneficiary feedback mechanism in coordination with MEAL Manager.
- Ensure a sufficient availability of trained investigators in CO.
- Conduct trainings/refresher for staff round the year. Conduct CoC inductions to all new staff.
- Ensure proper visibility materials are rolled out for CoC/Accountability/ COCRM in all operational areas.
- Develop a proper mechanism to train every staff, especially front-line staff on CoC/CoCRM
- Any other tasks as required by the scope
- Program: Livelihood Coordinator, Protection Coordinator, ERM Coordinator, Multisector Migration Response Coordinator, DRC&DDG HoP, Area Managers, project managers,
- Support function: Head of Support Services (HoSS)
- Government: MORR, ANDMA, MoEc
- Humanitarian actors: all
- Donors: ECHO, EC, OFDA, SIDA, Canada GA, Danida, UNOPS
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 7 years professional work experience in humanitarian organizations in the same filed;
- Experience with reporting, compliance, grant management
- Understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks.
- Knowledge of the local laws realted to NGO and context in Afghanistan is a required;
- Working experience with Governmnet of Afghanistan is an asset
- University degree in organizational development, International relations, humanities, public and social policy or related field(s)
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with national staff and other stakeholders;
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment and undertake a proactive approach;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Understanding of local languanges (Dari and Pashto) is mandatory
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with DRC salary scale
- DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract till end of 2020.
Interested? Then apply for this position, all applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close 25 Sep 2021.
However, please note due to the urgency of this position, the shortlisting process will be ongoing. Should we find qualified candidates prior to the expiry of this advert, interviews will be held immediately.