Digital architecture and knowledge management specialist for food safety
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The position is located within the Food Systems and Food Safety Division (ESF), Economic and Social Development Stream. The Division supports a coordinated approach to the development of food systems, including inter alia, engagement in global level dialogue, platform and initiatives, the strengthening of food safety and quality at national, regional and international levels, the development of sustainable food value chains, reductions in food loss and waste and the implementation of the urban food agenda.
The consultant / PSA will perform his/her duties under the general supervision of the Senior food safety officer, ESF, the direct supervision of the ESF Food safety officer in close collaboration with ESF Food safety officers, FAO staff across country offices, and the national Government counterparts.
The work covered by the vacancy announcement is anchored in the current notion of food safety with a food chain lens, as a support to resilient sustainable agri-food systems, and a risk-based approach to food controls comprising data-management
Tasks and responsibilities
Candidates will support, lead or execute the following tasks:
• Familiarize him/herself with the basic principles of quality control in the food processing environment including Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPS), Good Hygienic Practices (GHPs), Sanitation Standard Operation Procedures (SSOPs), and HACCP and measurements requested for verification/inspection purposes.
• Undertake a review of available digital technologies and platforms/applications for food safety information/data collection and sharing, and potential support for distance learning of food safety quality control.
• Perform a comparative feasibility and cost analysis of the different solutions, including limitations for use in developing countries.
• Develop solutions in support of targeted food safety and quality distance learning
• Develop solutions for remote mechanisms of quality control
• Provide support to the establishment of food safety data acquisition and sharing (analytical and other food safety data management) processes at national, regional, and international levels.
• Contribute to the updating of the digital tools and mechanisms needed for engagement with members in FAO-led food safety networks with the aim to establish streamlined membership management and a system of control of messages shared.
• Contribute to the development of web-based or other appropriate approaches for the management of database membership and information sharing.
• Provide logistical and basic IT-Support to food safety networking events
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in information and communication technology, digital media technologies (web, social media, etc), knowledge management, project and/or environmental management, process technology, or a related area.
• From one to fifteen years of relevant experience in one or more areas related to digital knowledge management, project management, setting up of digital systems for optimal management of communication channels, evaluation of data using basic statistical tools (e.g. in Excel)
• Working knowledge of digital application in areas related to food and agriculture (irrigation, quality control, training, ect.)
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian for consultants. Working knowledge of one FAO language for PSAs.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency