Associate Reporting Officer
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Snr Protection Cluster Coordination Officer or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
In particular, s/he will:
- Provide support to the protection sector in advocating for the rights of the displaced populations in North East Nigeria by advocating for the fundamental human rights of persons of concern to UNHCR; In performing protection work, inculcate a right based approach in the provision of services, advocate for the respect international human rights law; international humanitarian law and refugee law.
- Draft, formulate policies, guidelines, advocacy notes, position papers and provide guidance aimed at improving the delivery of protection services, by the protection sector in keeping with Global Protection Cluster standards.
- Foster and create strategic partnerships with the government, INGO, civil society groups, human rights institutions; to advance the rights of the most vulnerable groups amongst the IDP, host communities community-based, local, national, and international organizations.
- Promote and ensure protection mainstreaming by integrating Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach across all sectors as health, WASH, nutrition and food security.
- Coordinate (under the supervision of the sector coordinator) multi sector needs assessments to the field and liaise closely with the local coordination groups established at various Local Government Areas.
- Provide support to the coordination mechanisms in place including attending the monthly meetings convened by the subsectors and AoR, CP, HLP and GBV and work closely with all the subsector leads;
- Establish a database on Protection of Civilians to record civilian casualties analyze trends of the effects of the protracted conflict on civilians. This database will inter-alia provide evidence-based protection monitoring to improve quality of reports produced by PSWG;
- Support the PSWG implement the HCT Centrality of Protection Strategy; plan regular monitoring of the performance indicators; lobby members to provide updates on progress on a monthly basis; Liaise and network closely with Areas Of Responsibility on Child Protection, CP, Housing Land and Property, HLP; Gender Based Violence, GBV and Humanitarian Mine Action, HMA as well as other stakeholders to improve referral mechanisms and pathways to enhance coordinated responses and improved service delivery;
- Collect, collate, analyze information and manage data, work closely with information management team to streamline information and make it user friendly for all protection actors;
- Prepare regular situation reports, flash information, ad hoc reports, Protection Analysis Framework (PAF) thematic and analytical reports including the Secretary-General’s Annual Report;
- Provide briefing notes, draft talking points for senior management and give presentation to donors and visiting missions to the North East on the operational context;
- Collaborate with all sections in UNHCR to understand the operational context; the UNV will also receive guidance from the Senior Protection Officer and National Sector Coordinator and the NPSWG Secretariat in Abuja and international colleagues in Maiduguri
University in Mass Communication, Humanities and Social Sciences, Social Work, Anthropology, Community Development and or related fieldsRequired experience 24 Months Experience remark
Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in Information Management, reporter/ journalism, social worker and researcher.Language skills
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Knowledge and experience in the field of international protection, investigative journalism coupled with excellent drafting/reporting skills is desirable.
- Working experience with refugees, internally displaced populations and other people of concern in a protection capacity is an added asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and negotiation skills in a cross-cultural environment and the ability to assist in communication of technical and non-technical details with Government technical staff as well as NGO staff and local authorities.
- Previous significant work experience with reporting on human rights violations, Working in conflict and post conflict environment.
- Sound knowledge of the humanitarian community and ability to work with all relevant actors and stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft computer programs including Access, Excel, outlook, PowerPoint, and Word. Information and data base management;
- Knowledge of UN policies and procedures: Field experience
- Fluency in English.