Lead Electrical Engineer (MEP Engineer/Retainer/Consultant) / Call for Expression of Interest
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development. UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonizationUNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Cambodia Multi-Country OfficeUNOPS established its Cambodia Multi-Country Office (KHOH) in early 2013. Since then, KHOH has carried out a diverse set of projects/programs, such as a multi-donor funded project to support the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (also known as the Khmer Rouge Tribunal). Also, KHOH has been providing advisory services in the infrastructure sector to other development partners, such as the Government of the Russian Federation and KOICA, and procurement support and advisory services to different line ministries of the Royal Government of Cambodia.
UNOPS KHOH is also overseeing business activities and/or providing Support and Services to UNOPS operations in other countries, within the Greater Mekong Sub-Region such as Lao PDR and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, as well as the Philippines, mainly focused on the infrastructure sector, but also encompassing good governance, trade facilitation and environmental issues.
In addition, KHOH is providing Support Services to the Malaria Programs and Regional Artemisinin Initiative (RAI) funded by the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM).
UNOPS KHOH is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with different development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio comprised of projects and programs in the infrastructure and environmental sectors, as well as continuing with the provision of transactional services (HR and Procurement services). For that, UNOPS is subsequently looking for qualified and committed experts that can contribute to fulfill our mandate in Greater Mekong Sub-Region and beyond.
Project InformationA national Covid-19 Action Plan for Cambodia has been developed by the Ministry of Health (MoH). It identifies upgrading and equipping of provincial hospitals as a key objective. Initial priorities of the emergency response have focussed on the procurement of medical equipment and supplies, however, it is also important to consider the suitability of the existing health facilities to use this equipment effectively to deal with the specific COVID-19 needs.
Therefore UNOPS will carry out a three-pronged program 1) Procurement and installation of 12 Oxygen Plants in 11 hospitals in Cambodia 2) Assessments of the selected health facilities (if/when required), in order to control and supervise the interventions to appropriately utilise the proposed medical equipment and accommodate the change in service delivery to suit COVID-19 needs,with emphasis on oxygen therapy. It will help to guarantee that equipment being procured under the COVID-19 emergency, that is needed in the provincial hospitals, is of the correct size and optimally located on-site. The assessments will focus on the COVID-19 response, but will also include peripheral space and wards and permanent health service improvements for the long-term, reducing the risk that highly valuable new equipment does not deliver their full benefits for the population. 3) Preparation of Civil works foundations for and connections to wards, for Oxygen Plants, in Phnom Penh and the provinces.
The MEP Engineer (consultant) will be required to conduct physical inspections of the eleven (11) main hospitals (if/when required) in order to control and supervise the recommendations for facilities upgrades to accommodate procurement requests and COVID-19 response service delivery needs.
The Lead Electrical Engineer (MEP Engineer/Consultant)will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Description and sketches showing physical layout and physical capacity (number, type and size of rooms, beds etc) for designated wards within the hospital facility;
- Description and photographs of physical condition of designated wards;
- Services provision (oxygen, medical gases, vacuum system, energy, water, air conditioning, waste management);
- Catchment population, and general service capacity (number of different types of skilled workers, number of different types of patients etc) ;
- Current equipment lists, if available;
- Requested equipment lists, if available;
- Other questions related to the Oxygen Therapy provision potential of the hospital;
- HR capacity of ICU and laboratories (in some cases only) ;
- Identification of other programmes and stakeholders providing support to the facility.
- Assess the probabilities for integration of the new equipment into existing medical systems, from an MEP perspective
- In coordination with the full time construction supervisors, identify existing electricity related problems and suggest appropriate solutions in consultation with the Project Manager or designated Civil Engineer.
Monitoring and Progress ControlsUnder the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the MEP will provide support to the field based construction supervisors and provide quality and quantity control to all MEP- related works. Following the schedule of works, the MEP Engineer will be responsible to travel to site and supervise the quality and progress of all Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing related works. S/he will provide updates to the Project Manager and will communicate and coordinate with the UNOPS infrastructure team, contractors and with internal and external entities for successful completion of the project.
S/he will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities;
- Assist in the oversight of the implementation of works for the specific projects and monitoring of progress of electricity related works according to contract schedules, specifications and project plans.
- Collect and document information on the contractor’s work force, weather, progress of work and any other related information that links directly with the electricity network works.
- Undertake measurement of electrical site works in support of contractor payment requests.
- Ensure the strict implementation of quality control standards and procedures on the sites and report regularly to the supervisor.
- Assist in the preparation of progress reports on construction activities and submission of such on a weekly basis to the supervisor.
- Assist in the implementation of Environmental and Health & Safety measures in the project sites.
- Assist in the preparation of Scopes of Work for, Tender evaluation of, selection and supervision of building contractors for specified project work.
- Monitor and record appropriate field data to validate contractors’ compliance to cross- cutting issues (gender, environment, sustainability, health and safety on site, etc.) as stipulated in the contract and detailed in the construction work programme.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by the PM.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Prepare weekly & monthly progress reports: progress of works based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, solutions, planning of activities for the following week, etc.
- Consolidated monthly/quarterly progress reports
- Prepare and maintain an inventory list of Oxygen plants and other medical equipment
- Research and prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment
The expected outputs are as follow:
Database of survey information related to the existing health facilities including:
- Space planning and suitability for accommodating COVID-19 equipment and service delivery needs for the emergency situation and for similar infectious disease control;
- Services assessment to ensure appropriate provision of oxygen supply, medical gases, vacuum system, energy, water, air conditioning, fire safety and waste management;
- Current capacity, including number of doctors, nurses and other staff, number of patient types;
- General physical condition of the infrastructure of designated areas and wards and recommendations for additional technical studies where potential risks of failure are observed.
Recommendations for priority interventions at each site in order to:
- Assure that Oxygen Plants have optimal space for long-term delivery of clinical, WHO-standard grade clinical oxygen.
- Fast track the least complex upgrades to provide upgraded service delivery in initial facilities at the earliest opportunity;
- Identify critical needs shortages (facility structures, medical procurement, and HR needs) for priority interventions;
- Identify facilities in need of more detailed engineering assessment (structural, mechanical, architectural and biomedical), so as to ensure safety and code compliance;
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced University (Master's) Degree in Electrical Engineering or other relevant field is required.
- A Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or other relevant field, combined with 2 additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of experience (or more depending on academic credentials) in electrical engineering with focus on MEP for various types of projects, especially experiences in conducting project feasibility study/ assessment of the power and electrical aspects of projects.
- Additional experiences in hospital building is desirable.
- Additional experiences in Medical gases is desirable
- Experience in project monitoring, reporting, and coordination, particularly experience of successful working with governments and developing partners is an asset.
- Proficiency with computers in particular AutoCAD, and other related software related to the positions field of expertise is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA) Home-based Retainer
- Contract level: LICA 10
- Contract duration: The contract is for 6 months from 1 October 2021 and no extension is foreseen. The estimated number of ICA engagements is 10 working days per month. Individual Contractor will be required to work when and as required, i.e. daily consultancy basis.
- The selection of the candidate will be done through a desk review process.
- The selected candidate shall perform in this role as a Retainer and must start from 01 Oct 2021.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.