Finance Associate (Head of Finance Area)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administration and implementation of operational strategies
- Administration of budgets and cost-recovery system
- Accounting and administrative support
- CO cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Ensures administration and implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with office management.
- Implementation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements, elaboration of conditions of contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management.
- Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for UNDP projects, follow up with HQs on authorized spending limits (ASL) for management projects.
- Establishment of criteria for pro-ration of Agencies contributions to the common services account, preparation and modifications of the common services budget and follow up on timely recovery of payments.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL, follow up with HQs on ASL for development projects, maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Sending project budget to KK if authorized by the Senior Management (can be done only on the basis of signed prodocs and project budgets).
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources of the CO, reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by, elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
- Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of financial reports for NIM projects.
- Approval of vendors in Atlas (as a senior member of the Finance team).
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Coordination and review of accounts closure
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow up with partners on contributions.
- Timely VAT reimbursements, payment of GLOC by the Government.
- Ensures proper CO cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Alternate to Finance Analyst as primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishment. May serve as member of bank signatory panel upon decision of Resident Representative.
- Transaction and stop payment initiation on internet banking systems.
- Approval and submission of monthly UN exchange rate report to Treasury.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlements.
- Performing Paycycle manager role in Atlas.
- Timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager/Finance Analyst. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
- Alternate as cashier for cash disbursements made on site.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Interprets policies and guidance within context and applies with judgment
- Anticipates obstacles and applies practical solutions
- Continually seeks improvement and agility in service delivery
- Collaborates to improve methods and delivery
- Actively engages teams and encourages dialogue within and across teams
- Determines appropriate resources, methods, partners, information and solutions
- Seeks and values other’s initiatives and expertise
- Supervises teams with consistent direction and drives team engagement
- Proactively expresses insights and/or questions in order to contribute to clarity, accuracy, and focus in one’s work
- Speaks on behalf of team with professionalism and integrity consistent with UN values
- Demonstrates commitment to clients and quality
- Works to agreed goals dealing with challenges constructively
- Responsible for project implementation and/or team deliverables
- Ability to exercise sound judgement in delivering services and supervising teams
Maintaining information and databases
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting).
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Maintains databases
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- 7 years of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required
- Fluency in English and Spanish
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.