Policy Specialist (Climate Finance) (1 position), Level : SB 5/Peg 1 (Only for Nepalese nationals)
Accelerating Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals in Nepal is a joint project of National Planning Commission (NPC) and UNDP which is implemented under the National Implementation Modality (NIM) from Jan 2020 to Dec 2023. The project is supported by UNDP Nepal, UN Environment, European Union and Austrian Development Agency. The project aims to support Nepal in achieving the SDGs by creating enabling environment and capacity development to mitigate SDGs financing gap as well as through accelerated implementation. To achieve this, the project works with federal, provincial and local governments as well as private sector and CSOs, for SDG based planning, budgeting and investment with focus on poverty-environment-climate/disaster and Gender equality & Social inclusion concerns. The objective of the project will be achieved through two inter-linked outcomes: 1) Planning, budgeting, monitoring & reporting systems at all levels of government are SDG responsive and functional; and 2) Resilient and innovative financing available for SDG implementation.
The Policy Specialist (Climate Finance) will work under the guidance and supervision of the National Project Director, National Project Coordinator, relevant division of NPC and reports to National Project Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Substantive technical support and advisory services to NPC on climate change finance to achieve SDGs;
- Contribution to technical assistance, policy development and program support related to climate change finance by taking whole of the Government/society approach;
- Substantive contribution to the application and development of innovative climate change /green financing instruments, tools and resources;
- Knowledge management, development and facilitation of public and private platform/ networking on climate change financing to achieve SDGs at the national and provincial level; and
- Ensure strengthening Gender and Social Inclusion work through project interventions.
The key Responsibilities of the assignment are:
1. Substantive technical support and advisory services to National Planning Commission on climate change finance to achieve SDGs:
- In line with SDG financing priorities, navigate entry points and pivotal considerations for integrating effective climate change finance governance and innovating financing approaches and strategies for achieving the SDGs;
- Be an active member of the project team, influencing the national priorities and bring the best practices and feasible approaches on climate financing mechanism relevant to Nepal’s economy;
- Contribute to the national scaling up of the existing climate finance for SDG service offer and approach;
- Collaborate substantively with public and private sectors at the national and provincial to achieve outcomes of the project and prepare plans to support and promote synergies;
- Provide and/or facilitate support to the project in relevant intervention design, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and results reporting in line with RBM guidelines, and support quality assurance, risk management and due diligence processes; and
- Contribute to the accelerating SDG implementation including focus on poverty, environment and climate objectives and gender and social inclusion mainstreaming.
2. Contribution to technical assistance, policy development and program support related to climate change finance by taking whole of the Government/society approach:
- Contributes to the design and implementation of the AISN project plan to strengthen the Governance of climate change finance in Nepal;
- Facilitates technical activities development, program support and collaboration functions related with public, civil society, media, parliaments and private sector innovative climate finance work;
- Provides integrated solutions and works across sectoral teams to provide inputs and technical guidance on budgeting for climate change at all level;
- Contribute to the identification and scoping of technical issues within the project team to research, develop and share knowledge-based tools, such as policy positions/practice notes/concept papers and other research-based products to influence/advance climate finance dialogue; and
- Substantive and results-focused area of work development and regular reporting of results achieved and the integration of the results in the project.
3. Substantive contribution to the application and development of innovative climate change /green financing instruments, tools and resources:
- Provide technical expertise in identifying new tools, adapting good practices and methodologies and producing knowledge management products that linked with climate change and innovative green financing approaches;
- Support in the identification of opportunities and emerging risks from implementing of new and innovative financing interventions to support the SDGs in line with the SDGs costing and financing strategies;
- Contribute to advocacy efforts key public and private sector for climate change finance priorities in the country by linking NPC costing and financing strategies;
- Identifies and collaborates with all stakeholders of climate change governance in Nepal at all level to roll out public and private green investment initiatives, by providing insights on most practical value; and
- Contribute to the design, adoption and delivery of training to facilitate innovation learning, foster and encourage policy innovation and continuous improvement to enhance policy advice and programme delivery.
4. Knowledge management, development and facilitation of public and private platform/ networking on climate change financing to achieve SDGs at the national and provincial level:
- Contribute in the shaping, producing, and disseminating climate change finance development briefs and papers to help articulate NPC positioning on key issues in this area, including through policy dialogues, conferences and use of information technologies;
- Provide technical expertise on the content development for knowledge products through the analysis of data, case evidence, and research findings;
- Support in climate finance related substantive discussion in SDG dialogue platform to feed information, knowledge and leverage additional resources to help achieve SDGs;
- Advise NPC on the design, implementation and packaging of SDG/climate change finance that can demonstrate and scale new business models;
- Contribute to shaping NPC influencing strategy in the SDG and innovative financing arena through continuous analysis, documentation, codification of regional results/lessons learned;
- Elicit collaboration across all relevant stakeholders deemed necessary at all tiers of governance on budgeting for climate finance and private sector partnership; and
- Any other task as deemed necessary to fulfil the objective of the project.
5. Ensure strengthening Gender and Social Inclusion work through project interventions:
- Provide advice and direction on strategic and policy issues to strengthen gender & social inclusion initiatives in the programme plan and implementation strategy;
- Facilitate in creating an environment to address GESI issues;
- Ensure gender and inclusion issues are substantially incorporated in policy notes and briefs where ever possible; and
- Liaise with CO Gender Specialist as per the need for effective implementation of the GESI strategy and other guiding tools.
Impact of Results:
Effectively functioning of project implementation gearing toward leveraging additional SDGs financing options with results orientation and quality reporting in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Good inter-personal skills;
- Clear and upfront communication skills;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Display cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability;
- Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
- Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
- Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
- Focused on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem-solving approach;
- Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members; and
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continued learning and development on personal level as well as for supervisees;
- Good practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of projects;
- Demonstrates strong numerical and analytical skills;
- Has experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation tools;
- Experience in developing business plans for financial institutions including energy enterprises;
- Experience in coordination, technical assistance and advisory support top government and private institutions;
- Experienced in delivering training and other needed capacity/ institutional building support to a wide range of stakeholders including financial institutions;
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation; and
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master's degree in Public Finance Management, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Public Policy, Natural Resources Management, Economics, Finance or relevant field.
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience on issue related to implementation of climate policy, climate risk management, adaptation and mitigation planning and capacity building;
- Proven track record of working in climate change, climate change finance, natural resource management and private sectors on climate/sustainability initiatives;
- Proven track record and leadership experience related to policy dialogues, and advisory function involving government counterparts and other stakeholders;
- Demonstrated familiarity and understanding of the global UNFCCC debate on climate change and experience in multilateral environmental debates, dialogues and processes;
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, business community leaders, etc);
- Prior experience working in capacity development, knowledge management, communication, monitoring and evaluation will be an asset; and
- Prior experience and knowledge of country’s institutional framework and polices of climate change in an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Nepali is essential.
- Well versed in computer applications like Word, Excel and Powerpoint; and
- Good report writing skill is highly preferable.