The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refuguees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Summary of duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Field Coordinator, the Camp Manger is responsible for overall management of all IRC programs at Gureshembola Refugee camp. The position holder service as IRC representative in Gureshembola Refugee camp, upholding the mission, directive and policies of IRC. The camp manager is focal person for safety and security of IRC staffs and assets at Gureshembola Refugee camp.
Detailed Responsibilities and Tasks
- Ensure camp level procurement system that aligns with IRC and donor protocols. This involves effective communication and working relations with technical program managers, support sector heads and Field Coordinator to ensure planned and timely procurements and payments.
- Ensure the logistics team works with procurement plans (monthly, quarterly), and authorized and ATC cleared suppliers.
- Approve Purchase Requests (PRs) for all camp programs as per the authority threshold and review those PRs beyond the authority threshold prior to Field Coordinator approval.
- Verify/approve all camp-based payments /purchase requests regarding daily laborers or monthly incentives, etc. for the camp within the given threshold.
- Supervise camp level warehouse management (using warehouse monitoring tools), control and use of IRC supplies and assets, and report to field office regarding any misuse, theft or damage to IRC properties.
- Approve store release (SRs) for all camp programs as per IRC warehouse management protocols.
- Conduct monthly spot checks and ensure quarterly spot checks by staff from responsible sectors.
- In collaboration with the supply chain team and program managers, ensure planned and reasonable allocation of IRC resources (facilities, equipment, vehicles) and also ensure that supply chain team maintains operations and maintenance protocols.
- Jointly with supply chain team and program managers, ensure the conduct and documentation of asset/equipment survey as per set timelines; submit asset disposal and stock adjustment plans to the field office.
- Conduct monthly, semiannual and annual inventories as directed by the Field Coordinator.
Human Resource Management
- Assist the field office in making sure that IRC personnel policy, IRC refugee staff policy and IRC required reporting policies (MRPs) are respected and practiced in accordance with police in close collaboration with field SMT.
- Line-manage camps-based sector staff and ensure all staffs performance objectives are set timely and staffs have clear understanding about their roles and responsibilities.
- Maintain system and IRC standard methodologies for regular staff performance evaluation and assist the office in developing a framework for staff career development (mentor and training).
- Ensure camp based staffs are deployed in a timely manner by applying standard procedures for staff recruitment.
- Provide counseling and support in resolution of employee workplace quarrel. Propose and/or take corrective measures within IRC’s personnel policies when vital.
- Authorize staff in the mandated camp when travelling out of their duty stations for IRC business as per the IRC personnel policy, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate cash management system is implemented in the camps. This includes cash transfer and handling of the field level petty cash and cash in office mechanisms.
- Facilitate timely submission of cash projection by respective program and support sector representatives, refugee staff’s payment sheet, construction labor cost and daily laborers’ sheet, etc for timely action by the field finance department.
- Approve all payments (procurement, travel disbursements, refugee staffs’ incentive, daily laborers' sheet) up to the camp manager’s threshold.
- Verify/review all payments beyond the camp manager authority level before they are reviewed by finance and approved by the Field Coordinator/SMT in Addis.
- Review and ensure camp based financial reports are accurate and meet IRC and donor reporting requirements.
- Ensure, in coordination with Field coordinator, Program Managers and TCs, all the IRC projects are implemented in accordance with IRC Program Framework and support that implementation follows the core programming principles.
- Lead all aspects of preparation of activity and spending plans for all grants by program managers
- Ensure quarterly procurement plans are developed and executed to meet the IRC donor requirements.
- Provide administrative support and camp oversight during program implementation on daily basis; assist staff to implement sector specific monitoring and evaluation plans
- Coordinate and facilitate grant opening, review/closing, and BVA review meetings as per agreed timeline in collaboration with program managers and sector reps.
- Provide administrative, operational and logistical assistance to all programs managers to ensure planned trainings, workshops and awareness raising events are conducted as required.
- Provide input on operational, administrative and human resource needs during proposal design and
- Assist program staffs to ensure beneficiary communities are involved in the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of all IRC programs.
- Ensure timely submission of field level required reports (sector reports, management, donor and government reports).
- Contribute to IRC’s institutional learning, for example in relation to new ways of planning and project implementation.
Representation and Coordination:
- Represent IRC from duty station at the mandated refugee camp (s): The tasks include serve as focal person for any information shared with or received from camp level agencies and surrounding community representatives; prepare and report required updates and regular reports on all IRC activities to agencies and donor (s); assist the field office in facilitating donor monitoring visits.
- Actively pursue good coordination and working relationships with relevant actors, government (ARRA, local administration), Donors (UNHCR, PRM, ECHO, SV, IRISH AID, NOVO, etc) and Implementing partners (IPs), refugees’ representatives (RCC, WOAs) and host/local community representatives and informal leaders.
- Participate at camp level inter-agency meetings; facilitate regular meetings with camp leaders, camp level IPs, local authorities and other community-based associations as pivotal to develop good will and support for all program activities.
- Maintain office records, disseminate information and correspondence from field office, IRC Addis, IPs, donors to all operation and program at camp level and vice-versa.
Safety, Security and Health:
- Provide assistant to the field office in updating field security management plan, in facilitating security related trainings to camp based staff, and implementation of the plan.
- Supervise security/safety situation in the designated camp context, and ensure incidents are reported to the Field coordinator for further analysis, planning and implementation of safety and mitigation measures.
- Develop/adapt standard local context specific vehicle safety policies and assure that they are consistently implemented in collaboration with field logistics focal person.
- Conduct regular discussions with key staffs to identify and settled approaches to address staff wellness and sense of security.
- Ensure all camp-based staffs understand IRC Ethiopia Health and Insurance Policy and utilize insurance provisions jointly with Admin/HR person.
- Assess, design and implement different ways of improving IRC camp environment in consultation with the camp staff and field office. Adapt and develop site specific IRC compound management protocols including staff Canteen.
- Encourage key staff to participate in problem solving and, in the decision, making process. Monitor and address work related misunderstanding in consultation with the field coordinator
- Exercise reasonable level of delegation of roles to key staffs
- Maintain a system to strengthen inter-departmental teamwork by facilitating willing to take action sector specific and regular staff meetings.
- Preserve close, open, and professional relationships with all staff.