Re-advertisement: VAM Officer, FT NOB Mogadishu
Date of Issue: 14th September 2021 Closing Date: 27th September 2021
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
In Somalia, the World Food Programme provides food assistance for nutrition, livelihoods, and relief through the hard work of more than 500 employees who contribute to make Somalia hunger free in close partnership with local partners.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programme, and the direct supervision of the Head of VAM, the incumbent will support the Country Office on assessment and strategic programme support and oversee the development of assessment and analysis capacity in Somalia.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Contribute to the development of VAM projects and activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies and guidance;
• Support the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of food assistance needs in line with innovative methodologies and best practice;
• Support the development of food security and vulnerability analysis and the preparation of timely reports on food assessment needs in line with wider VAM policies, processes and guidance to enable effective decision-making;
• Provide assistance in coordination of data collection and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained;
• Liaise with implementing partners (internal and external) to monitor ongoing projects, ensuring effective collaboration, efficiency and highlight potential risks to project delivery;
• Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to conduct vulnerability analysis to effectively inform preparedness and response activities;
• Provide support to relevant partners that are focusing on food security and nutrition issues to enable sharing of experience, lessons learned and best practice;
• Provide technical trainings on vulnerability assessment and analysis;
• Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries;
• Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs;
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, Food Security, Statistics, Data Science, Public Health/Nutrition or Geography or First University degree with additional years of related work experience.
Experience: At least three years of relevant professional work experience in food security analysis and mapping. Experience with coordination or substantial participation in an Integrated Phase Classification analysis cycle is an added advantage.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of variety of quantitative and qualitative analytical tools and methods for food security, nutrition and market analysis;
• Practical expertise in food security analysis and mapping by participating in multiple assessments, including tool design, data collection, analysis, and reporting of geospatial, socioeconomic food security, and nutrition data;
• Strong analytical and report writing skills in English;
• Conversant with designing and implementing market analysis in relation to food security;
• Understanding of GIS mapping, geospatial and remote sensing analysis is desirable;
• Demonstrated technical knowledge and understanding of WFP vulnerability mapping systems and emergency assessment standards;
• Experience and familiarity with Somalia context would be an added advantage.
Terms and Conditions:
Contract Duration: 1 year (initial)
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.