Chief Technical Advisor “Capacity Building for Emission Trading and Strengthened of Measurement, Reporting and Verification in the Republic of Belarus”
UNDP/GEF launched a new project called “Capacity Building for Emission Trading and Strengthened of Measurement, Reporting and Verification in the Republic of Belarus” in the area of climate change designed to assist the Government of the Republic of Belarus to implement its greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction commitments under the Paris Agreement to the UNFCCC in the context of national sustainable development goals.
Specifically, the project objectives are to build Belarus’ capacities to design and implement market-based climate finance mechanisms, to improve and continuously update its Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) under the Paris Agreement to the UNFCCC, as well as to set-up a robust Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) system for GHG emissions in the priority sectors (Energy, Industrial processes, Agriculture, Waste, LULUCF).
The project consists of three inter-linked components:
• Component 1: NDC implementation. The first component addresses capacity and knowledge constraints related to preparation and update of national and sectoral NDC targets, as well as limited awareness about market-based climate finance mechanisms in Belarus.
• Component 2: Strengthened GHG accounting capacity and enhanced system of measuring, reporting and verification (MRV). Under the second component the project will set-up and strengthen MRV system, specifically for the priority sectors identified in the Nationally Determined Contribution of the Republic of Belarus under the Paris Agreement.
• Component 3: Demonstration project using measuring, reporting and verification (MRV) best practice. The third component, in partnerships with local and international organizations and initiatives, will support the development and implementation of MRV pilots in selected sectors to gain practical experience and facilitate interactions and learning-by-doing for all stakeholders involved in the MRV system in Belarus.
Duties and Responsibilities
The objective of this assignment is to provide effective technical, expert and organizational support to ensure successful implementation of the Project with successful delivery of all the intended outcomes and outputs.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Chief Technical Advisor will assume overall responsibility for the successful implementation of the Project on the expert and technical matters and the achievement of planned project outputs. He/she will work under direct supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Belarus.
Duties and responsibilities:
Undertake primary coordination of the activities under Component 1: NDC implementation, Component 2: Strengthened GHG accounting capacity and enhanced system of measuring, reporting and verification (MRV) and Component 3: Demonstration project using measuring, reporting and verification (MRV) best practice. This includes drafting ToRs for all subcontractors and primary coordination and monitoring of contracts conducted under these components; In particular, oversee the implementation of the following tasks:
- Definition of sectors to be covered by the GHG mitigation targets
- Provision of training on model application for relevant national stakeholders
- Consultations with stakeholders on the update of NDC of Belarus
- Incorporation of sectoral NDC targets into relevant national programmes
- Developing recommendations and roadmap for ensuring the compliance with requirements for participation in the market-based cooperative approaches under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement
- Development of the roadmap and recommendations for the facility based MRV system in the energy and industrial processes sectors
- Development of national MRV methodologies and step-by-step guidance for the AFOLU and municipal sectors
- Organizing a study tour to a country with robust MRV and ETS in place
- Preparation of national law on MRV and associated policy and regulatory documents
- Design and elaboration of pilot MRV projects, including the preparation of feasibility studies
- Establishing partnerships with co-financiers of MRV pilot projects
- Developing the pilot MRV systems, implementation of MRV pilot projects, validating MRV results in line with applicable international standards and procedures
- Conducting the monitoring of emission reductions and preparing monitoring reports
- Organizing independent verification, certification of emission reductions and placing them on international carbon markets
- Summarizing the findings of the MRV pilot projects in the report on lessons learned.
- Lead and provide expert guidance and support to national and international consultants and companies hired under the project;
- Conduct regular contacts on the project matters with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Belarus, stakeholders and target groups;
- Monitor the process of preparation of the documents required for the implementation measures elaborated under the Project and collaboration with the relevant stakeholders;
- Support consultants in conducting economic and GHG emission modelling of the GHG mitigation potentials, costs and sustainable development co-benefits of climate policies and measures in key economic sectors of Belarus, drafting relevant technical and analytical reports and provide expert review of such reports;
- Participate in the project workshops, as well as in Project Board meetings as speaker/moderator/rapporteur;
- Take the responsibility for knowledge management in the capacity building process;
- Support planning and budgeting, as well as preparation of the annual detailed work plans;
- Participate in preparation of the annual project implementation reports (PIR);
- Undertake any other actions related to the Project as requested by the Project Manager.
Job knowledge and expertise: understands the international climate change processes related to Nationally Determined Contributions and enhanced transparency framework under the Paris Agreement; demonstrates good understanding of climate-finance market-based mechanisms; understands methodological approaches to quantification of GHG emission reductions and/or removals and the measurement, reporting and verification of GHG emission reductions and/or removals from climate change mitigation activities in one or several economic sectors (energy, transport, buildings, agriculture, waste, industrial processes and product use (IPPU), land use, land use change and forestry (LULUCF);
Result Orientation: demonstrates ability to work with large volumes of data in order to develop economic and GHG emission models for estimating the GHG mitigation potentials and costs of climate change policies and measures; demonstrates knowledge of approaches to quantification of sustainable development co-benefits of climate policies and measures;
Communication: builds professional networks with partners, donors and other stakeholders in climate change policy making; demonstrates good oral communication skills in Russian and English and ability to effectively interact on technical climate change matters with various stakeholders in climate change policy making; demonstrates ability to prepare written technical and analytical reports on climate change mitigation matters in English and Russian;
People management: guides substantive specialists conducting economic and GHG emissions modelling of and establishing the measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems for climate change mitigation activities in different economic sectors (energy, transport, buildings, agriculture, waste, industrial processes and product use (IPPU), land use, land use change and forestry (LULUCF); identifies and nurtures collaborations between diverse professionals; creates an environment of excellence, collaboration and engagement.
Required Skills and Experience
University degree in the fields of environmental sciences, environmental economics, environmental management, natural sciences, engineering, development studies or a related discipline is required;
Supplementary vocational training degree, master's degree, scientific training degree or a certificate of competence, especially in the field related to quantification of GHG emission potentials and costs as well as sustainable development co-benefits of climate policies and measures, is an advantage.
At least 5 years of relevant professional work experience in the field of climate change mitigation, climate finance and MRV issues.
Experience in the development of climate change policies/plans/measures/ activities in the field of development of GHG emission models for estimating the GHG mitigation potentials and costs of climate change policies and measures as well as measuring, reporting and verifying (MRV) GHG emission reductions or removals resulting from their implementation, would be considered an asset.
Fluency in Russian and/or Belarusian and working knowledge of English is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.