District Coordinator (TB Programme)
Duration: 6 months (on 3rd party payroll)
Locations: Aligarh, Moradabad, Shahjahanpur, Raebareli and Azamgarh
PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations—that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs. Together, we deliver measurable results that disrupt the cycle of poor health.
Tuberculosis Treatment Adherence through Digital Adherence Technology (99 DOTS Lite)
In India, adherence monitoring and Loss to follow up (LTFU) tracing are often inadequate, thus increasing the risk of treatment interruption (and leading to emergence of DR TB or relapses). In 2019, lower treatment success and higher LTFU were observed in the private sector (as compared to the public). That year, 60% of the private notifications in Mumbai were bacteriologically confirmed; of those, 69% were offered program drugs (FDC), 59% were offered universal DST, and 43% received at least one benefit for NPY. Manual adherence monitoring has limited reliability as it depends on timely contact with patients, real-time updates on Nikshay, and a proactive approach by NTEP staff. In recent years, several versatile, innovative technologies (e.g., cell phone–based strategies, digital pillboxes etc.) have emerged to monitor and improve TB treatment adherence, particularly considering limitations associated with the DOTS method.
TB patients will be offered the 99DOTS Lite technology to ensure the maximum number of patients are put on DATs. 99DOTS is one of potential DATs that have been deployed under NTEP, where a custom 99DOTS envelope includes hidden phone numbers that are visible only when pills are removed from the blister pack. However, with 99DOTS Lite, instead of envelopes, stickers are used (one phone number per blister pack), which offers multiple advantages:
- Extremely easy to comprehend for the patients (numbers revealed outside the medication compared to hidden numbers in 99DOTS envelopes).
- Number can be saved on the phone and reused for the duration of the blister (the next blister may have a different phone number, at which point the new number should be called instead).
- Dosing history recorded on the adherence calendar serves as a check for patient counseling.
Under the pilot, 99DOTS Lite will be offered to TB patients put on treatment, and the technology will be linked with Nikshay and TB Arogya Saathi to enable monitoring. Integration with a case-based management system is key for access to real-time actionable data by NTEP staff, who can use the system to remotely monitor adherence and initiate additional counseling and other services.
We are looking for 5 District Coordinators, one each at Aligarh, Moradabad, Shahjahanpur, Raebareli and Azamgarh.
The District Coordinator will work with District NTEP and private healthcare facility staff to support implement Digital Adherence Technology in TB patients enrolled at selected Private and Public healthcare facilities. Specifically, the District Coordinator will:
- Provide technical and programmatic assistance to PATH POs and District NTEP to support implement Digital Adherence Technology (DAT) in TB patients enrolled at selected Private and Public healthcare facilities.
- Visit DTC and selected health facilities for monitoring project activities and provide Technical Assistance to districts NTEP in implementing Digital Adherence Technology in enrolled TB patients.
- Facilitate the capacity building of the district & facility level functionaries on various components of the project.
- Provide handholding support to districts and facilities for the patient counselling and motivation in implementing DAT.
- Liaises and manages stakeholders at the district level involved in project activities.
- Address logistic gaps and supplies related to the project.
- Follow up with patients on 99 DOTS Lite adherence and address issues related to 99 DOTS Lite adherence faced by patients and providers.
- Support the facilities and NTEP in collecting details of enrolled patients and provision of public health action to enrolled patients.
- Manage and coordinate diverse tasks and facilitate relationships among multiple stakeholders.
- Work with a high degree of autonomy and independence in line with project goals and objectives.
- The candidates must be self-starters and committed to performing their duties with minimal direct and day-to-day supervision.
- Work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation, and report on project success criteria results, metrics.
- Undertake other assignments, which may be assigned from time to time.
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook & Web surfing to search relevant data & documents.
- Completes detailed strategy write-ups, work plans, reports and deliverables from stakeholders and all other reporting requirements.
- Available to travel at district level up to 75% of the time.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Post Graduate Degree/Post Graduate Diploma in Management/ Social Sciences/ Public Health
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible leadership roles in the design and/or delivery of public health programs or pharmaceuticals.
- Computer proficiency with familiarity with commonly used packages like MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook & Web surfing to search relevant data & documents.
- Fluency in English and ability to converse in local language.
- Availability of Two-wheeler and a valid driving license.
Day to Day technical reporting to Project Officer in PATH
The candidate must have legal authorization to work in India.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Interested candidates can send their CV at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 20th October 2021.
*Note*- While applying, please mention the position name and location in the subject line.