Community Engagement Coordinator, Afghan Placement and Assistance Program
Richmond (South Africa)
Job Overview: The Afghan Placement and Assistance Program (APA) Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for collaborating with IRC staff and a wide variety of community partners and faith and civic groups to identify communities and potential partners throughout Central Virginia interested in sponsoring a refugee family during their first months in the U.S. and coordinating the full sponsorship life cycle.The APA Community Engagement Coordinator also contributes to the development of resources, including volunteers and in-kind donations, to support the successful resettlement of Afghan Evacuees and other refugee families.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
·Conduct outreach for the Housing, Outreach, Mentorship & Education (HOME) Family Sponsorship Program throughout Central Virginia, within a 100-mile radius of the local IRC office. Follow up on existing leads from individuals and community and faith-based organizations; contact organizations who already support the IRC in Virginia and develop new sponsorship opportunities through networking and research.
·Serve as the primary point of contact at IRC with HOME sponsor groups.Provide initial orientation to participants and assist throughout the process by providing ongoing training and support to sponsor groups.Support the resolution of any issues that may arise.
·Coordinate with direct service staff to ensure timely delivery and documentation of Placement and Assistance services for sponsored families, in accordance with funder guidelines.
- Coordinate monthly group meetings with HOME sponsors.
- Ensure program participants complete all required paperwork including tracking volunteer hours.
- Collect feedback and completion of program and make suggestions for improvement in the future.
- Represent IRC at local meetings, seminars, forums, and other community outreach opportunities as needed.
- Collaborate with colleagues on the Resource Development team to amplify messaging about IRC’s work and how community members can support Afghan Evacuee and other refugee and immigrant families.
- Assist with the collection and distribution of in-kind and monetary donations as needed.
- Use personal, insured vehicle and/or public transportation (where available) to travel and transport clients and materials as needed throughout the service delivery area.
- May train and lead the activities of volunteers and interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- 2-3 years of related professional experience.
- Prior volunteer or professional experience in community development or volunteer coordination strongly preferred.
- Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations strongly preferred.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
- Strong relationship building, diplomacy, and networking skills; ability to effectively build internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
- Self-direction and initiative, when needed, to take the lead and to follow through to completion.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research and problem-solving purposes.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a personal, insured vehicle.
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity.We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.#LI_GR1