Chair of the Staff Appeals Board (SAB) - Administrative Division
London (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
The members of the SAB shall be fully independent and impartial and shall not receive any instructions in the exercise of their duties. The Chair shall have no other prior or present appointment or service relationship with IMO. Following the end of his/her assignment with the SAB, he/she shall not be eligible for any office or employment with, or representation of, IMO. The members of the SAB shall be of high moral character and integrity.
The SAB meets as required by its caseload when an appeal of an administrative decision is received. The proceedings of the SAB will be conducted virtually.
The Chair shall perform the duties assigned to him or her as per the IMO Staff Rules and Staff Regulations, in accordance with IMO internal policies as well as the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) Code of Conduct. In particular, the Chair will be required to:
- Act as a presiding member of the SAB and conduct the Board’s meetings and hearings and establish the agenda in consultation with the Board members.
- Draft the SAB’s written decision providing reasons, fact and law in accordance with IMO Staff Rules and Staff Regulations and ensure the timely completion of the Board’s proceedings.
- Guide the SAB to decide on questions of its competence.
- Request, if necessary, ad hoc external advice that may be engaged by the Administration to support the effective functioning of the SAB, particularly on matters relating to legal, technical and procedural issues, including the contents of the report.
- Perform other duties, as required by the IMO Staff Rules and Staff Regulations.
The application should also provide the names and e-mail addresses of two senior legal professionals able to attest to the moral character and credible standing of the candidate.