UNDP - Programme Specialist/Head of Unit
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Kazakhstan is contributing to the country’s development through the following programmatic priorities outlined in the Country Programme Document 2021-2025 (CPD): 1) addressing social vulnerabilities and inequalities, 2) effective and accountable institutions, 3) climate and disaster resilience and low-carbon growth, and 4) diversified and knowledge-based economic growth. The full description of UNDP priorities are reflected in the UNDP Country Programme Document (CPD) informed by the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework, which are available on: https://www.kz.undp.org/content/kazakhstan/en/home/about-us/legal-framework.html.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring the strategic direction of UNDP programme in extended Governance thematic area;
- Management of the CO programme in Governance thematic area and supervision of the Governance programme team;
- Strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization;
- Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of Common Country Analysis (CCA), United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), UNDP Country Programme Document (CPD), Project Documents, Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and other documents.
- Identification of strategic programme areas of cooperation.
- Operationalization of UNSDCF / CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies. Identification of possibilities for joint programming.
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO in the Governance thematic area.
- Contribution to the business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the Governance programme area.
Ensures effective management of the CO programme and supervision of the Governance programme team focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation and achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. The incumbent performs the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval.
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations Manager.
- Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Coordination of development of policies and institutions that will address the country development issues and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations / projects staff on programme.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals;
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings;
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor;
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level;
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level;
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Legal Studies or related field.
- Min 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Sound experience in usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in English, Russian and/or Kazakh is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.