Digital Center and ICT Support Officer
Consistent with its mandate to prioritize the acquisition, adoption, innovation, and application of science and technology for development and its pursuit of competence, excellence and service innovation as provided in both the Organic Law for the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) and the Revised Transition Plan 2019-2022 for the Bangsamoro Transition Authority, the Bangsamoro Government, through the Ministry of the Interior and Local Government (MILG), forged a partnership with UNDP that seeks to apply, where possible, the strategic framework and principles of the UNDP-supported Access to Information (a2i) program to the specific social, cultural and economic contexts of BARMM.
This project titled, “Localizing e-Governance for Accelerated Provision of Services (LeAPS)” will build on the a2i experience towards the transformation in local governance in BARMM by significantly accelerating connectivity in communities and opening up governance by enabling citizens to capitalize on the benefits of connectivity, such as through improved access to services and information, community enterprise development, assisted rural e-commerce, and skills development. The LeAPS project is a way to overcome the dependencies on archaic, paper-based and manual processes within and among the local government units (LGUs). This project will also maximize the use of MILG’s limited manpower and resources to deliver and monitor frontline services effectively and efficiently.
The overarching outcome of the LeAPS project is to ensure that “the most marginalized, vulnerable and at-risk people and groups benefit from inclusive and quality services and live in a supportive environment wherein their nutrition, food security, and health are ensured/protected”, its outputs are targeted as follows: a) efficient e-services in select LGUs and Ministries of BARMM managed and optimized; b) LGUs effectively and efficiently use disaggregated data for development and resilience planning, programming, budgeting and governance; c) enabling program environment established; and d) program managed efficiently with sustainability measures.
The full-blown phase of the LeAPS project will commence this year, covering 12 LGUs and 11 Ministries in BARMM. The other LGUs and ministries will be identified from 2022 onwards.
UNDP is looking for a Digital Center and ICT Support Officer for the LeAPS Project who will form part of the LeAPs Project Management Team based in Cotabato City. The overall direction and guidance shall be provided by the UNDP Team Leader for Institutions and Partnerships while day-to-day supervision shall be performed by the LeAPS Project Manager with oversight from the Programme Analyst.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Directly reporting to the Project Manager and working closely with the rest of the Project Management Team, the Digital Center and ICT Support Officer will:
a) Lead the development of a comprehensive study, technical recommendation, and work plan for the physical and logical/network setup of digital centers, interactive call centers, and kiosks. This year, additional ten (10) pilot LGUs and ten (10) Ministries are identified for 2021, with more LGUs and ministries to cover from 2022 onwards.
The following technical considerations must be noted:
- High-speed (3G/4G/5G) internet availability for the digital centers and kiosks
- Stability and reliability of broadband wireless access in the areas considering expansion centers
- Stable (always-on) power supply in the areas
- Adequate infrastructure facility / passable roads
- Accessible and reachable location (by foot)
b) Review, study, and recommend core ICT Infrastructure (servers and data with software systems) for e-Governance in LGUs and Ministries;
c) Develop and design site selection criteria and matrix that must ensure establishment and functional Digital Centers and Interactive Call Centers;
d) Conduct ocular site inspections and assessment in the LGUs and Ministries and conduct e-readiness survey with risk assessment study in the LGU and Ministries’ locations, in close coordination with MILG;
e) Establish close coordination and collaboration on all technical-related concerns with the a2i Bangladesh team focal point and ensure conduct of regular/weekly discussions on every activity that involves their technical advice and recommendation.
f) Provide technical advisory services and technical assistance to the UNDP LeAPS Project Management Office (PMO) and work in close cooperation with the a2i Bangladesh team under the lead and supervision of the LeAPS Project Manager.
g) Provide technical advice, guidance, and supervision on the establishment of Data Center at the MILG-BARMM office.
h) Provide technical inputs during planning and evaluation phases of all IT/technical-related procurement and deployment of ICT infrastructure and e-Governance software or programs.
i) Identify plans for expansion and scalability of digital centers and call centers including inputs on proposals for future phases of implementation.
j) Work closely with the LeAPS Web Portal and e-Services Officer on deploying the a2i BARMM website in testing bed and final server and provide technical assistance with the soft and final website launches.
2. Assist the LeAPS Web Portal and e-Services Officer with the training on ICT and web portal management.
3. Collaborate with the IT departments in MILG and the Ministry of Transport and Communications (MOTC) in BARMM through regular discussions covering technical matters that involve the establishment of digital centers and data centers; attend other required relevant project meetings.
a) Work and consult with the UNDP Digital Services Team on all ICT-related matters with respect to the defined work and deliverables.
b) Provide advice and support on capacity development and ICT training activities.
c) The Digital Center and ICT Support Officer is expected to provide other tasks not limited to the following:
- Contribute to a wide variety of support roles such as service desk, software and desktop support
- Connecting the needs of the LeAPS project with technology opportunities
- Provide research, analysis and provide advice on trends to inform decisions
- Translate technical information into plain English/layman’s terms for project needs
- Contribute to writing ICT briefs, submissions, reports, presentations and correspondence
- Work with people to create change and help the technology challenged.
4. Provide additional support the Project Management Team and the Programme Team on the request of the Project Manager and Programme Team Analyst.
- Demonstrate focus on achieving quality results and impact;
- Propose new ideas, approaches and solutions to problems;
- Keep abreast of new developments in one’s professional area;
- Be flexible in handling change, adopt new ideas, approaches and ways of working;
- Demonstrate courage, self-motivation and initaive to act on opportunities without being prompted by others;
- Establish and develop networks that deliver powerful collaborations;
- Treat all individuals with respect, consider ethical implications and respond sensitively to all differences among people;
- Fully accept and value all people, creating an inclusive environment; and,
- Demonstrate honesty and transparency.
- Knowledge of Cyber Security technologies, processes, and innovations and the ability to apply to strategic and practical situations. Capacity of keeping UNDP systems and data safe
- Ability to design and manage an IT architecture, integrate of one or more applications or services within a coherent and effective IT architecture
- Ability to manage IT continuity and disaster recovery
- Ability to support internal customers on IT issues and generate a continuous improvement of users
- Ability to develop/integrate/operate/manage IT network, communications, Cloud or on-premises infrastructure, and new technologies like IoT
- Ability to deliver the IT products and services to customers at the right level of Quality and Costs, taking into account user experience
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Academic Education
At least Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology/Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Electronics and Communications Engineering or related course. Professional ICT training is advantageous
Minimum years of relevant work experience
Minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience as a technical consultant with responsibility for designing, delivering and managing the design and deployment of digital centers, interactive call centers, and data center.
At least three (3) years of work experience on technology and innovation related to project implementation including digital governance, digital transformation, and digital solutions.Must be able to assume a broad role, proficient in many facets of information technology (IT) in one or more specific speciality. In this role, the candidate will help the project understand what digital technologies can offer and must possess general business knowledge and good soft skills.
Previous working experience in similar position in UN agencies or International organizations would be an advantage.
Required skills and competencies
- At least five (5) years of demonstrable professional knowledge and/or experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Identifying and deploying connectivity in remote areas, using VSAT, point-to-point apparatus/equipment, and other agnostic technologies;
- Drafting of technical specifications in the proposals (specializing in the digital center and interactive call center design, and data center with security administration), and substantive inputs in reviewing bids submitted during the bid evaluation and assist in expediting the evaluation process.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of ICT strategies for the LeAPS project
- Good understanding of the technologies behind telecommunication facilities (i.e. VSAT, broadband, leased line, etc)
- Knowledge in the electrical systems installation and maintenance.
- Knowledge in web development and web-based office applications.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Proficiency in spoken and written English and Filipino.Knowledge in spoken and written skills in local dialect/s is preferred.
Professional Certificates (Professional ICT training is advantageous)
- Must possess at least one (1) of the following professional certifications or equivalent:
- Certified information security manager (CISM)
- CompTIA (A+, Cloud+, Security+)
- Cisco certified internetwork expert (CCIE) equivalent
- Cisco certified network associate (CCNA) or equivalent
- Microsoft certified solutions associate/expert (MCSA/MCSE) or equivalent
- Microsoft technology professional (MTA)
- Certified data professional (CDP)
- AWS certified solutions architect
The Digital Center and ICT Support Officer is expected to travel in various areas in Mindanao and BARMM.
Resident of BARMM or Mindanao is highly preferred