The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Unit of Information and Technology Management (ITM) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT and Green Energy solutions. Our vision is to develop smart UN facilities which are: Optimal and efficient, Efficient in management and Sustainable, implemented to build modern age UNDP facilities around the globe that are fully aligned with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Our Unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team.
As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The UNDP/ITM ICT Engineering Internship programme enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow. We bridge the gap between textbook learning and real-time industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context. Being a part of our dynamic unit, you will also gain worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies; our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP ITM unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in providing effective Digital Platform Services to Country Office worldwide: OneICTbox, Managed Security Services and cloud-based network infrastructure services;
- Assist in providing advisory support to UNDP country offices to implement stable and robust ICT infrastructure through satellite services, firewall services and innovative ICT solutions;
- Help maintain and support in Connectivity monitoring – SNMP;
- Assist in promoting, testing and working with Cloud solutions – CISCO Meraki devices;
- Assist in developing and implementing cloud-based unified communication system;
- Support developing Business Applications based on SharePoint Online, PowerApps, PowerBI, together with Data Analytics tools.
- Assist with Service management models including ITIL Best Practice and a Service Desk, Service Catalogue;
- Contribute to draft quality focused training material, procedures, instructions and templates from best practice and disseminate through a Practice Community;
- Assist the unit in organizing internal and external conferences;
- Assist in promotion of ITM’s overall ICT strategic framework and work plan pertaining to the minimum ICT standards, infrastructure, and connectivity dimensions;
- Assist in hosting webinars and presenting/explaining ICT solutions that are developed in-house to country offices;
- Cloud computing: understands the cloud computing strategy and cloud-based infrastructure technologies, apply such knowledge and experience in developing infrastructure setup;
- Information Security: knowledge in Information Security to apply in developing infrastructure setup;
- ICT operation support: knowledge in ICT operation and support, applying standard practice and guideline in supporting colleagues;
- Programming Skills: basic knowledge in developing scripts to automate management/operation tasks;
- Client orientation: maintains effective relationships with clients to understand and meet or exceed their needs. Finds ways to ensure client satisfaction
- Process Innovation: Identifies opportunities for process, system and structural improvement as well as improving current practices, increasing effectiveness and achieving efficiency gains. Actively supports the application of sound quality management standards and process improvement.
- Project Management: Able to organize and structure different tasks, good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Communication: communicates effectively when working in teams and have a proactive attitude with a goal-oriented mind-set;
- Collaboration: displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability and Interest and motivation in working in an international organization.
Required Skills and Experience
- You must meet one of the following requirements:
- You are currently in the final year of your Bachelor’s degree; or
- You are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or
- You have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a master’s degree or equivalent studies in the field of Information communication technologies, network and telecommunications, computer science, or equivalent.
- Knowledge in one of the following fields is required: Internetworking, Network management, Microsoft collaboration tools, API programming or similar areas;
- Knowledge in Internetworking (TCP/IP, firewall, routing/switching, LAN, WIFI, etc.) is an advantage;
- Knowledge in Unified communication (voice over IP technologies, Microsoft Exchange messaging platform, Cisco Call managers etc.) or Network Monitoring systems (SNMP based) is an advantage;
- Knowledge in Microsoft collaboration and productivity Tools: Microsoft Office package, MS Teams, SharePoint, O365, Azure or google apps is an advantage;
- Knowledge in developing API scripts and scripting languages is an advantage;
- Knowledge with network architecture and network monitoring systems is an advantage;
- Experience in managing and updating website content is an advantage.
- Experience with gathering, consolidating and analysing data from databases and reports is an advantage;
- Interest in developing sustainable solutions for country offices, focusing on ICT and renewable energy
- Fluent in written and spoken English is required. Working Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.