Creative Specialist - Foresight
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners; programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with the United Nations to implement project activities for UN Global Pulse.
UN Global Pulse
UN Global Pulse (UNGP) is an initiative of the Executive Office of Secretary-General (EOSG) founded in 2009. We work in support of the Secretary-General’s priorities, in advancement of the UN Charter. UNGP serves as a cross-pillar lead and hub for experimentation and digital innovation. We have a globally distributed team in the Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia.
The teams work with digital innovation, strategic foresight, real-time data and artificial intelligence to further sustainable development, humanitarian and peace outcomes. Our vision is ‘A world in which responsible and inclusive digital innovation serves to empower people and protect the planet’. Our mission is to work at the intersection of digital innovation and science to inform, inspire and support the entire UN and those it serves, to anticipate and respond to the challenges of today and tomorrow.
The goals of the UNGP Network are: i) to generate knowledge, capabilities and approaches that support the transformation of the United Nations into a more agile and resilient ‘next-generation’ institution; ii) to create and accelerate the development of globally accessible approaches that help communities and partners anticipate and address emerging global challenges; and iii) to advocate for the global transformation of policies, practices and culture required to maximize the impact of digital innovation, minimize its risk of harm, and ensure pathways to scale and sustainability.
This is a UNOPS position and the incumbent will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
UNGP is a close-knit innovation and transformation team working across a number of complex development, humanitarian and organizational issues and challenges using mixed-methods approaches. This includes innovation, strategic foresight, data, digital transformation and behavioral sciences approaches. The Creative Specialist - Foresight ’s work cuts across the whole portfolio and global network connecting teams and substance, and supports strategic and engagement objectives throughout the foresight process.The successful candidate will be able to quickly understand complex issues and communicate these in a clear and relevant way through creative concepts. The Creative Specialist - Foresight is an integral part of the foresight team ensuring the outputs of foresight work are tailored to different audiences, including UN senior leadership and decision-makers. The role focuses on crystallizing the key messages, communicating the insights in a compelling and accessible manner, and by multimedia storytelling. The Creative Specialist - Foresight acts as a creative director/concept designer, and is able to brief and steer creative teams and subcontractors and oversee design, quality and performance of creative outputs. To succeed in this position, the person is keen to inspire and help others, adapts quickly, is experimental, collaborative, prioritizes effectively and has a hands-on attitude.
Under the direct supervision of UNGP Finland Lab Manager and substantive supervision of UNGP’s Deputy Director, the incumbent will execute the following duties:
1. Concept Planning
2. Creative Direction and Production
3. Copywriting and Graphic Design
4. Collaboration and Resource Mobilization
| 1. Concept Planning |
2. Creative Direction and Production
3. Copywriting and Graphic Design
4. Collaboration and Resource Mobilization
Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Impact of Results
Through design and execution of creative concepts and strategies, support the UN leadership, including country operations, in accessing futures and foresight capacity to identify emerging risks and opportunities, develop mitigation strategies, and inform strategic planning contributing to the overall vision and mission of the UNGP. More specifically, the results translate into improved user experiences, enhanced visibility, and impact of foresight work, and progress in broadening the collaboration with the UN and external creative partners, and mainstreaming anticipatory approaches within the UN system.
- Advanced university degree (Master´s or equivalent), preferably in Marketing, Media, Communications, Public Relations, International Development or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor's degree) in combination with 2 additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in one or more of the following areas: creative direction, planning and concept design, media productions, copywriting, graphic design, user experience or creative roles preferably in humanitarian innovation initiatives.
- Experience in developing and executing content management strategies.
- Experience in managing teams and contractors, preferably in creative and human centered design work.
- Experience in content design, including e.g. developing micro sites, presentation decks, infographics and/or editorial work.
- Experience with social media management and analytics tools.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator).
- Fluency in English (write, read, speak) is required.
- Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Fixed Term Contract level: P3
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.